Re: [httpstreaming] Current Status and Our Goal

"Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com> Wed, 20 October 2010 12:40 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 05:41:49 -0700
From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
To: Ning Zong <zongning@huawei.com>, Roni Even <Even.roni@huawei.com>, "David A. Bryan" <dbryan@ethernot.org>, Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com>
Cc: httpstreaming@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [httpstreaming] Current Status and Our Goal

Then, that's a pretty poor segmentation or the client simply downloads data that it will discard. The point is the connection is unicast so the client gets what it needs.

>  You might need some initialization data to start decoding or whatever, but
> all that comes from the server over unicast anyway.
> [ZN]: right, but the reference information is not always available to be
> transmitted at any time point even using unicast, unless there is a cache
> point.

? That reference information is part of the data the client gets. A cache cannot produce that data by itself, it needs to see it from upstream, which means it previously came from the origin server.

My point is that the ret. server we had in RAMS is not needed here since all the servers that can serve the client is one such entity here. They provide what the client wants, and if they don't have it, they redirect the client or fetch it for the client.

-acbegen