Re: [httpstreaming] HTTP Streaming Problem Statement Updating//Re: I-D Action:draft-wu-http-streaming-optimization-ps-03.txt

Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com> Tue, 09 November 2010 14:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 22:51:29 +0800
From: Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com>
To: Francois Le Faucheur <flefauch@cisco.com>
Cc: httpstreaming@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [httpstreaming] HTTP Streaming Problem Statement Updating//Re: I-D Action:draft-wu-http-streaming-optimization-ps-03.txt

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Francois Le Faucheur" <flefauch@cisco.com>
To: "Qin Wu" <sunseawq@huawei.com>
Cc: "Francois Le Faucheur" <flefauch@cisco.com>; <httpstreaming@ietf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 2:49 PM

Hi Qin,

A few comments on the problem statement (haven't gone through all the messages so apologies if there are duplicates):

* one point that comes up multiple times is the concern for live about having to update the manifest file very frequently. Some existing HTTP adaptive streaming schemes support Live today with infrequent update of the Manifest file (i.e. updating it ahead of segment encoding). So it would be useful to clarify why such infrequent update approaches are excluded (i.e. because you want to signal Random Access Points).

* the multicast case is one where I can see significant room for improvement. But there is only very brief discussion about this. For example section 6.6 says:
"HTTP is sent over TCP and only supports unicast which may increase
   processing overhead by 30% in contrast with using multicast
   transmission.
"
I am not sure where the 30% is coming from, but more importantly I would suggest to bring up the efficiencies that could be obtained by using multicast in the presence of bottlenecks that are shared by users streaming the same Live content (eg Cable access, PON access, link to DSLAMs, home networks...).

[Qin]: Okay, such rephasing seems more make sense.

* in "7.1.  Enhanced HTTP Streaming Pull model"
" Also the Distribution Component is introduced with
   Streaming support to provide a "hint" to the server/cache as to which
   chunk the client is likely to request next then the distribution
   component could elect to retrieve that chunk ahead of it actually
   being requested to keep the response latency (or some other factor)
   more consistent and avoid additional bit rate switches.
"
I'd suggest making the possible interactions between the Distribution Component and the client more open/flexible/generic. ie a hint from the client to Distribution component is one example of things that may be exchanged. Another example could be that the server provides hints to the client.

[Qin]: Good point, I take it.

* In the reference architecture (Figure 1), inside the "Client Component" have you considered showing the "Streaming Client" above the "HTTP Client" - as opposed to underneath- (in the sense that the client component consumes the data received by the HTTP client )?

[Qin]: Right, I am not assuming Streaming Client should be underneath of HTT Client. They could be in parallel or Streaming Client is above of HTTP Client.
Thank for pointing out this.

Cheers

Francois

On 25 Oct 2010, at 20:02, Qin Wu wrote:

> Hi
>
> An updated version of
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wu-http-streaming-optimization-ps-03.txt
> is submitted which
>
> * address lots of comments from this list
> * incorporate many concrete  inputs from the list
> Many thanks to those people who have shared their ideas and proposals.
>
> Comparing with the previous version, the new version  has been thoroughly restructured and organized based on the suggestions on the list.
> The concept would be to center around three typical HTTP Streaming use cases, explore couples of typical problems inherent in the existing
> HTTP streaming model and outline the potential scope of the problem including possible direction forward and possible two new models.
>
> Hopefully we can define more and more clear scope of the problem.
> If you have any other suggestions and good ideas/ inputs/proposals, please let us know or speakup on the list.
>
> Regards!
> -Qin

 Think before you print.

Cisco Systems France, Société à responsabiité limitée, Rue Camille Desmoulins - Imm Atlantis Zac Forum Seine Ilot 7 92130 Issy les Moulineaux, Au capital de 91.470 ?, 349 166 561 RCS Nanterre, Directeur de la publication: Jean-Luc Michel Givone.

For corporate legal information go to: