Re: [Hubmib] [OPS-AREA] IEEE/IETF relationship on Ethernet-specific MIB Modules (was DISCUSS on draft-ietf-adslmib-gbond-eth-mib-07.txt)

David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Sat, 28 July 2012 04:55 UTC

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 00:54:56 -0400
From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
Cc: Howard Frazier <hfrazier@broadcom.com>, ops-area@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Hubmib] [OPS-AREA] IEEE/IETF relationship on Ethernet-specific MIB Modules (was DISCUSS on draft-ietf-adslmib-gbond-eth-mib-07.txt)

Hi,

I think there are many implementations of these mib modules.
Applications know where to find these data objects by the existing OIDs.

In the Bridge MIB case, the IETF standards remained standards, so existing
implementations were still compliant to the IETF standard.
The IETF Bridge mib modules were widely deployed and used in Enterprise
bridging.
The structure of the IEEE Bridge modules were modified for technical
reasons - the indexing needed to be changed to accommodate per-provider
bridging.
So the IEEE developed a mib module that used the new indexing, which was a
superset of the old IETF MIB design.
This change required reassignment of OIDs, per SMIv2 rules. This is
described in RFC4663 section 3.2.
So the IETF Bridge MIB(s) and IEEE Bridge MIB(s) are actually different
MIB modules, both are existing valid standards, and they can coexist.

You don't discuss the justifications for changing the names and OID
assignments for existing objects.
Expecting all devices and NMS applications to do a forklift upgrade just
to declare these objects to be in the IEEE tree would make little sense.
Many legacy device implementations will never be upgraded, so NMS
applications will need to continue to support the IETF MIB  modules.
Obsoleting these existing standards should have a strong justification.
Is there a ***technical*** reason that forces a reassignment of OIDs per
SMIv2 rules, and obsolescence of the IETF MIB modules?

RFC4663 does not actually transfer the Bridge MIBs to IEEE; it merely
describes the process that was followed to transfer the Bridge MIBs to
IEEE.
Copyright for existing MIB module documents are held by the original
authors (not by the IETF).
The authors typically have granted the IETF the right to publish, copy,
translate, etc. for IETF standardization purposes.
The exact rights depend on the state of the IPR policy at time of document
publication.
The IETF does not have the authority to transfer these rights to the IEEE.
As described in RFC4663 3.1, the authors must agree to allow the IEEE to
copy and make derivative works from the original documents.
If the authors have assigned all intellectual property to their employers,
then the companies must agree.
Have all the original authors been contacted and have they (and their
companies) agreed to grant IEEE these rights?

Many NMS tools import text versions of MIB documents; they typically
cannot extract and import MIB modules from PDFs.
Will IEEE make subsequent 802.3 MIB documents freely available in text
formats?
This was done for the 802.1 MIB modules.

If the IEEE will extend the existing MIB modules, within the 1.3.6.1
branch, I believe they will need to have the new OIDs assigned by IANA.

There are quite a few issues with doing this type of transfer, and I
recommend documenting the process and the constraints on future
development, so future contributors understand the issues and how to deal
with them.

--
David Harrington
Ietfdbh@comcast.net