[humanresolv] Invitation to humanresolvers ML (was: Re: [MEXT] Energy consumption attacks)

Pars Mutaf <pars.mutaf@gmail.com> Wed, 23 March 2011 10:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:55:07 +0200
From: Pars Mutaf <pars.mutaf@gmail.com>
To: Julien Laganier <julien.ietf@gmail.com>, mext@ietf.org, humanresolvers@ietf.org
Subject: [humanresolv] Invitation to humanresolvers ML (was: Re: [MEXT] Energy consumption attacks)

Hi Julien, all,

We have a mailing list (humanresolvers) that was initially created to work
on the
higher level spam attacks on low-end mobile IP devices that consume host
resources
e.g. energy, CPU and memory, and annoy the user. We can expand the problem
scope
to primarily work on the IP-layer energy consuming Denial-of-Service (DoS)
attacks that
consist of sending large number of IP spoofing malicious packets to a victim
without
opening valid sessions (see description below). New attacks may also be
discovered.

The mailing list address is as follows:

Problem statement:
==============

Battery powered mobile IP hosts will probably be victim of new
Denial-of-Service (DoS)
attacks that consume limited host resources e.g. energy, CPU and memory. An
attacker
can remotely consume victim mobile hosts' battery by continuously sending
them bogus
session initiating packets e.g. SIP INTIVE or TCP SYN. A simple defense e.g.
attempting
to drop malicious packets would result in mobile host unreachability, since
the victim
cannot possibly differentiate between legitimate and malicious session
initiating packets
purportedly coming from random IP addresses.

When under attack, a victim will consume energy for:

- Receiving the messages (continuously waking up from sleep mode)
- Processing them and preparing reply packets (L2 and L3)
- Sending replies (L2 ACKs and upper layer replies e.g. SIP or TCP replies)

Serious design efforts are being made in MAC layer access technologies to
enable energy
conserving sleep mode. The attack would not only foil these efforts, but
also consume energy
by "forcing" the victim to send replies to frequent malicious packets
purportedly coming from
random IP addresses. For example, simple experiments show that the battery
of a mobile
phone with 802.11 access can be remotely consumed in ~3 hours (full battery,
1350 mAh).
The attack may shut down the victim device more quickly if its battery level
is low. Attacks
on phones using an outdoor technology would result in faster energy
consumption due to the
longer distances to the base station.

At a higher level, attackers can also organize spamming attacks that consume
victims'
resources and annoy the users by sending spam.

I would like to invite interested folks to subscribe to discuss these
problems.

Regards,

Pars