Re: [hybi] HyBi working group's work is completed

Tobias Oberstein <tobias.oberstein@tavendo.de> Tue, 22 December 2015 10:39 UTC

To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, "hybi@ietf.org" <hybi@ietf.org>
From: Tobias Oberstein <tobias.oberstein@tavendo.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 11:39:25 +0100
Subject: Re: [hybi] HyBi working group's work is completed

Hi Barry,

Am 16.12.2015 um 20:37 schrieb Barry Leiba:
> With RFC 7692's publication, the work on the HyBi working group is
> completed.  There is another document in the works that's been
> discussed, but it's clear that there isn't sufficient participation
> and energy left in HyBi to keep it open as an active working group.

FWIW, most of the discussions rgd WAMP are happening on GitHub in
comments on issues in the bug tracker there. On the other hand, I think
it's clear that WAMP doesn't have the amount of participation (yet;)
that WebSocket had - which is I guess obvious/expected.

> I intend to close the working group very soon, but I will leave the
> mailing list open for continued discussion, and I hope it will be used

Cool! Much appreciated.

> for that.  I'll be happy to consider AD-sponsoring related documents
> or trying to charter a new working group if there's enough active
> interest at some point.

Awesome, thanks for considering!

Sounds like having an active WG is just one option to get an RFC onto
standards track, the other being direct shepherdship from an Area
Director? (just want to improve my (very little) knowledge about IETF
processes here - it's clear that we are not yet at this stage.)

> If anyone thinks this is really the wrong way forward, please let me
> know right away.  And thanks, everyone, for the work you've done on
> the HyBi documents.

Thanks for chairing and directing this WG! WebSocket (and the WebSocket
permessage-deflate extension) is a very fine RFC, and the WG's results
have been definitely worth all the work and heated discussions;)

Cheers,
/Tobias