Re: [hybi] web socket protocol in "last call"?

Martin Tyler <martin.tyler@boo.org> Wed, 28 October 2009 23:03 UTC

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:04:04 +0000
From: Martin Tyler <martin.tyler@boo.org>
To: Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com>
Cc: "hybi@ietf.org" <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] web socket protocol in "last call"?

I agree with Greg on this.

As another vendor of server software that could make use of this, in its
current form it would just be something we implement under the covers to
slightly improve things. However, if the solution to reverse proxies and
other such intermediaries causing issues is that they will block WebSockets
then we'd have to stick with our current 'comet hacks'.

We always advise our customers to put our servers Internet facing, but in
large organisations this isn't always possible - and thinking that anyone
wanting to run a WebSocket server will just have to get a proxy that
conforms or remove it all together is frankly naive.