[hybi] Great work!

Brian <theturtle32@gmail.com> Wed, 09 March 2011 21:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:38:27 -0800
From: Brian <theturtle32@gmail.com>
To: Hybi <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: [hybi] Great work!

I just wanted to send a general "Thank you!" to everyone on the list
for all your long-suffering hard work that has made WebSockets a great
and yet still simple protocol.  Last night I coded up a partial client
implementation in Flash of the -06 draft... just enough to connect to
Andy Green's excellent libwebsockets-test-server using the
dumb-increment-protocol and receive the continually incrementing
numbers that it spits out.  I wrote an implementation of the handshake
and a parser for the framing based on nothing but the current -06
draft, and to my surprise and delight, the whole thing worked
perfectly on the first try.  That is truly a testament to the quality
of the draft and the clarity of its writing, as well as the simplicity
of the protocol.  It's extremely close to that perfect balance point
of features vs. simplicity.

So give yourselves all a collective pat on the back!  We've really got
an amazing working draft and an excellent protocol that is poised to
truly transform the real-time web once it's complete!  Actually
sitting down to write my own implementation has really re-kindled my
excitement and enthusiasm for the whole project!

I plan to finish out the client implementation, with masking and
support for extensions very soon.  When it's in a more sane state I
will publish it on GitHub, along with a pre-compiled Adobe Air test
app that will work with all of Andy's libwebsockets-test-server
subprotocols.

Cheers,
Brian