Re: [hybi] Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard

Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> Thu, 21 July 2011 16:27 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:27:49 +0200
From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>
To: David Endicott <dendicott@gmail.com>
Cc: Server-Initiated HTTP <hybi@ietf.org>, IETF-Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard

2011/7/21 David Endicott <dendicott@gmail.com>:
> DNS resolution is not a function of a transport protocol.  DNS SRV has no
> special association with WS.    It is my opinion that this would be
> additional cruft that is only marginally related to the purpose and function
> of websockets.    It does not address a general use case.   DNS SRV applies
> only to a (small?) subset of server-side implementations.    It is a good
> and useful mechanism, but I do not believe it should be tied tightly to
> websockets, nor included as part of the core spec.

An WebSocket URI is given to a WebSocket client, and the client MUST
locate the corresponding WS server, right? and for locating the server
the client MUST follows a procedures which, for now, involve (if it's
not an IP) DNS A/AAAA resolution, right? So now imagine that the
location mechanism is a bit more powerful and also involves SRV
queries (not always).

If you think that a transport protocol (like WebSocket) must not
resolve a server destination then also remove the WS URI inspection
and resolution from the core spec, don't you agree? or just DNS A/AAA
is valid?

I don't agree with your opinion at all. Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc@aliax.net>