Re: [hybi] Anti-patterns (was Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-01.txt)

Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net> Fri, 03 September 2010 08:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 09:23:40 +0100
From: Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net>
To: Joe Hildebrand <joe.hildebrand@webex.com>, Server-Initiated HTTP <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] Anti-patterns (was Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-01.txt)

On Thu Sep  2 21:41:37 2010, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> On 9/2/10 2:23 PM, "Shelby Moore" <shelby@coolpage.com> wrote:
>
> > Specifically, imo the entire cross-protocol and same-origin
> policy (SOP)
> > language needs to be stripped out of the draft. Imo, it is worse
> than
> > useful.
>
> This is a concrete technical suggestion.  Does anyone else agree
> with it?

I think we do need to ensure that we can defend against
cross-protocol attacks, and therefore that language (or something
along those lines) needs to stay. It's a valid security concern, and
we should offer mitigation for such attacks if desired.

I do note it may not always be desired; that is, it be actually be
desirable to be able to offer websocket services which are accessible
by hacky abuses of existing scripting interfaces in browsers.

For SOP, I think there is a case that it could be removed. There was,
as I recall, a BOF at the last IETF concerning generalizing the SOP
and other HTTP/Web security issues along these lines called HASMAT,
and it seems to me that referring directly to that work might be a
preferential option. Naturally, this depends on the progress of the
HASMAT BOF, and I'm sadly ignorant of what's happening there.

I'd suggest that we as a group ask advice from our Area Director on
the matter.

That said, it is currently informative text, as I understand it.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave@cridland.net - xmpp:dwd@dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/