Re: [hybi] Fragmented text message

Brian <theturtle32@gmail.com> Thu, 21 July 2011 08:47 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 01:47:11 -0700
From: Brian <theturtle32@gmail.com>
To: "Kukosa, Tomas" <tomas.kukosa@siemens-enterprise.com>
Cc: "hybi@ietf.org" <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] Fragmented text message

Unless I'm mistaken, the fragmentation may occur in the middle of a
multi-byte character sequence.  Your code should be aware of that when
decoding.  My initial implementation buffers all fragments and then decodes
the whole message into a string at once.  I imagine you could probably
inspect the last four bytes of a fragment to determine whether there's a
partial utf-8 character.  If there is, you could buffer just those few bytes
and decode the rest of the fragment.  Then when the next fragment comes in,
prepend those bytes to the new payload and continue. Depending on your use
case and what you're optimizing for, it may be more efficient to just buffer
the whole message and then decode.

Brian