Re: [hybi] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-08.txt

Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> Sat, 11 June 2011 05:49 UTC

Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 07:49:01 +0200
From: =?UTF-8?Q?I=C3=B1aki_Baz_Castillo?= <ibc@aliax.net>
To: Denis Lagno <dilmah@chromium.org>
Cc: hybi@ietf.org, Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
Subject: Re: [hybi] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-08.txt

2011/6/9 Denis Lagno <dilmah@chromium.org>rg>:
> Draft specifies that ABNF for value of "Sec-WebSocket-Protocol" field
> is 1#token.
> First nit is that looking at definition of # rule in RFC2616 it
> specifies that 1#token can contain Linear White Space, and LWS can
> contain CRLF; I guess CRLF in subprotocols list is not expected?
> Second nit is that it is not ABNF, ABNF RFC does not contain # rule.

Page 12 says:

   if Example Corporation were to create a Chat subprotocol to
   be implemented by many servers around the Web, they could name it
   "chat.example.com".  If the Example Organization called their
   competing subprotocol "example.org's chat protocol", then the two
   subprotocols could be implemented by servers simultaneously

Of course "example.org's chat protocol" is not a valid token according
to RFC 2616 grammar:

  CHAR           = <any US-ASCII character (octets 0 - 127)>
  token            = 1*<any CHAR except CTLs or separators>

So there are two options:

1) Make Sec-WebSocket-Protocol grammar 1#token (as defined now). In
this case protocol values MUST be token (no quoted strings, neither
separators). Then fix example in page 12.

2) Make Sec-WebSocket-Protocol grammar as follows:   1#( quoted-string | token )
In this way both examples in page 12 are valid.

I strongly prefer option 1 (I don't consider that spaces or UTF'8
multibyte symbols are needed for naming a protocol).

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc@aliax.net>