Re: [hybi] Authentication headers

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> Wed, 21 July 2010 07:01 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:01:31 +0000
From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
To: Wellington Fernando de Macedo <wfernandom2004@gmail.com>
Cc: hybi@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [hybi] Authentication headers

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Wellington Fernando de Macedo wrote:

> I'm updating the Mozilla's implementation of the WS protocol to its
> latest version (v.76). I know that handling the 401 http response was
> already removed in the v75. But now I've noted that even the http
> Authorization header has been removed.
>
> Well, I think that the 401 http status was removed in order to prevent
> the browser to open unexpected auth dialogs to the user. Actually, I
> know there is the cookie information, but I think it isn't always
> enough. So, I would like to ask, why can't a "normal" request include
> the Authorization header from its page origin?

There's some commented-out text to that effect, but frankly it's not clear
to me that it would be particularly useful in practice. For example, the
only authentication scheme that would work and be secure is Basic auth
over TLS to the same host as served the HTML page. In practice, only very
few sites use that combination of technologies; the cost of supporting it
seems higher than the benefit gained from it. It also seems unreliable; it
relies on the browser remembering the credentials used when loading the
Web page, for instance. There are also a number of situations where it
would seem that it should work but where it won't, for example if a page
on one path uses pushState() to go to another path and then opens a
WebSocket connection to the same host with the second path, the UA would
not know the realm of the second path and thus wouldn't know to include
the authentication information.

Basically, it seemed hacky. I couldn't really find a compelling argument
to support this rather than having it at the application layer. (You can
still leverage the basic auth feature that way, just have the server send
back a unique token that identifies the user's session and then pass that
back on the WebSocket connection.) Cookies are supported because they are
_very_ widely used, so there's something to reuse. HTTP auth is used so
rarely that I'd seriously consider dropping it from HTTP at this point; I
really don't think it's worth adding to WebSockets.