Re: [hybi] Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard: request for max frame size

Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com> Wed, 13 July 2011 02:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 12:53:52 +1000
From: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
To: Francis Brosnan Blazquez <francis@aspl.es>
Cc: Hybi <hybi@ietf.org>, ietf@ietf.org, draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [hybi] Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard: request for max frame size

Francis et al,

not also that the protocol does support fragmentation and a 1004 frame
too large error.
Even the 1004 error does not carry an indication of what an acceptable
size is, so the client/tool/intermediary that receives a 1004 will
either have to fail or guess a smaller frames size - potentially
binary chopping down to find an acceptable size, which might be sub
optimal.

I simple optional header in the handshake declaring the max frame size
(which intermediaries could adjust) would be very complimentary to the
existing fragmentation and 1004 features and I can't think of any
significant down side.

regards