Re: [hybi] deflate-stream and masking

Bruce Atherton <bruce@callenish.com> Wed, 22 June 2011 17:38 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:37:54 -0700
From: Bruce Atherton <bruce@callenish.com>
To: ifette@google.com
Cc: Hybi <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] deflate-stream and masking

If the suggestion is to add deflate-frame as proposed in that document
to the spec as a known extension, then that is a tune I can hum along
to. There would be no cost to doing that since there would be no
requirement to implement it if someone didn't want to. The only question
is whether deflate-frame been tested enough in implementations that we
can be confident it is going to be stable.

Removing deflate-stream from the spec as a known extension is a separate
question. Sure, it is useless and a terrible example of how to create a
websocket extension, but there are probably a few people that have
implementations. Do these extensions suddenly become "unknown"? What
would be the consequence of that?

Personally I would be fine with the removal of deflate-stream, but I
recognize there are issues.