Re: [hybi] [Uri-review] ws: and wss: schemes

Lloyd Wood <L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk> Fri, 11 September 2009 22:00 UTC

From: Lloyd Wood <L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>
To: Infinity Linden <infinity@lindenlab.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:00:39 +0100
Cc: hybi@ietf.org, uri-review@ietf.org, "Daniel R. Tobias" <dan@tobias.name>, URI <uri@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] [Uri-review] ws: and wss: schemes

(this thread seems to have wandered somewhat from the subject line,
but hey, right in my area.)

Vinge's "Zones of Thought" spanned the entire galaxy as the ultimate
physical firewall with trusted zones and a DMZ. His "A Fire upon the
Deep" riffed on usenet conversations, with civilizations communicating,
and discussed aspects of network communication of group minds
(the "Tines").

"A Deepness in the Sky" comments on the invention of Unix, latency
as a significant factor in the communication of civilizations,
and the difficulties of consistent timekeeping in the space
environment. There's nothing on drugs for programming
(Focus is biological, leads to code only maintainable by the authors,
and sets up a set of jokes on life in cubes), but programming is
respected
as an archaeological discipline.

HTTP has been considered for interplanetary networking - or rather,
the 'delay-tolerant networking' that the 'Interplanetary Internet'
(which was originally just a catchy phrase to get NASA to move its
space probes to some form of networking, and nothing to do with the
Internet at all) morphed into via scope creep. See
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wood-dtnrg-http-dtn-delivery
This is just using HTTP for transfers - it's not a server/browser client
model, and doesn't require a lot of the framework we take for
granted terrestrially. HTTP ueber alles (multiple transports) is
discussed in
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/75/slides/tsvarea-1.pdf

But URIs in space? URIs are predicated on an authoritative DNS.
In deep space, DNS as it stands is likely not to be useful - lookups
take too long, contacts are scheduled and planned, late binding,
rather than early binding, is needed. And TCP's assumptions
and timers aren't a good fit with the environment. But that doesn't
rule out IP or other protocols in the suite.

DTN work: http://info.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/saratoga/

<http://info.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>