Re: [hybi] how do we move forward on agreeing on framing?

Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net> Thu, 19 August 2010 07:42 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:43:03 +0100
From: Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net>
To: John Tamplin <jat@google.com>, Server-Initiated HTTP <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] how do we move forward on agreeing on framing?

On Thu Aug 19 06:28:28 2010, John Tamplin wrote:
> Is this something we can all get behind, even if it doesn't do
> everything we
> want, in the interest of getting something useful done soon?  If
> not, what
> specific changes would be necessary for you to agree?

I'd feel more comfortable with knowing that the extension framing
(not actual support) was done. Otherwise, any extension mechanism is
going to smell like a real hack, even if it's possible. I also worry
about actors seeing extensions and choking on them, whether that's
intermediaries or whatever. Finally, it's not clear to me if
extension data needs to be per-message or per-frame - I can't think
of a per-frame use-case, but still, this effects possible extension
mechanisms heavily.

It could be my fears are misplaced, of course, and I'm willing to be
persuaded, but this is my current stance.

Aside from this one issue, this design - or the previous one, in fact
- are fine with me. I marginally prefer this one, modulo the absence
of an extension data block.

It'd be useful at this point, though, to produce a new draft
containing this design, which seems to have broad support if not yet
actual consensus - ie, this should become the group's current working
design.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave@cridland.net - xmpp:dwd@dave.cridland.net