[hybi] WebSockets : Question about masqued frames !

"Jean-Christophe Bos" <jczic@free.fr> Thu, 09 June 2011 15:13 UTC

From: Jean-Christophe Bos <jczic@free.fr>
To: hybi@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 17:13:25 +0200
Subject: [hybi] WebSockets : Question about masqued frames !

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask you (from France!) about the latest WebSocket's drafts that
I also fully implemented in my own HTTP server (since hixie 76).

On the masked frames, you mentioned earlier, that the mask must be selected
by an high entropy but it seemed illusive.

However, you came back to say that just choose a random mask but always in a
logical of non-predictability.

So, what is the real utility of this mask and that it should not be
predictable except to prevent a simple human readable dump of the
connection?

Why have won so much space on the data payload length and lose unnecessarily
32b for the masks contained in each frame?

WebSockets is indeed a protocol over HTTP over TCP, thus ensuring a good
packets order and lossless.

So why not simply imagine a mask whose evolutionary of the Salt was fixed at
the start (why not from the handshake key) and whose encryption evolve based
on the contents of the frames?

I would be really pleased that you explain on that!

Thank you very much because I truly believe that WebSockets are a priority
in the future of dynamic web apps :-)

Sincerely,

-

Jean-Christophe Bos,