Subject: I-D Action: draft-reilly-webproof-01.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2026 07:17:16 -0700
List-Id: Internet Draft Announcements only <i-d-announce.ietf.org>

Internet-Draft draft-reilly-webproof-01.txt is now available.

   Title:   WebProof: A Dual-Layer Web Provenance Protocol for Verifiable Digital Truth on the Internet
   Author:  Lawrence John Reilly Jr.
   Name:    draft-reilly-webproof-01.txt
   Pages:   62
   Dates:   2026-09-05

Abstract:

   This document defines WebProof, a new protocol layer for the World
   Wide Web that enables any web resource, document, dataset, media
   artifact, or AI-generated output to be cryptographically proven to
   exist in a specific form, at a specific time, under a specific
   author's custody.

   The web currently provides transport security (TLS), naming (DNS),
   and resource identification (URI/URL), but no native mechanism for
   verifiable provenance.  Any web resource can be silently modified,
   backdated, or repudiated.  WebProof fills this gap by defining a
   dual-anchored provenance layer that combines DOI-based archival
   permanence with blockchain timestamping to produce a WebProof Record
   (WPR): a machine-readable, independently verifiable proof of a
   resource's existence, integrity, authorship, and timestamp.

   WebProof introduces a well-known URI (/.well-known/webproof) for
   resource-level proof publication, HTTP response header extensions
   for inline provenance signaling, a canonical WebProof Record schema,
   a generation and verification procedure, and a DNS TXT record
   profile for domain-level WebProof registration.

   WebProof is designed to compose with existing web infrastructure and
   is intentionally non-disruptive: it does not require modifications
   to HTTP, TLS, or DNS to function, operating as an opt-in provenance
   layer that any web publisher can adopt independently.  The protocol
   builds on the Dual-Layer Digital Permanence methodology introduced
   by Lawrence John Reilly Jr. in the Reilly EternaMark (REM) Protocol
   [I-D.draft-reilly-rem-protocol].

   The term "WebProof" is coined by Lawrence John Reilly Jr. and first
   formally defined in this document.

   This revision adds material to draft-reilly-webproof-00 without
   removing or altering any text carried forward from it.  The
   additions are summarized in Section 18.

The IETF datatracker status page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-reilly-webproof/

There is also an HTMLized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-reilly-webproof-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-reilly-webproof-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at:
rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts