Re: [I18n-discuss] [Idna-update] [precis] draft-faltstrom-unicode11, i18n "directorate", and related issues

"Pete Resnick" <resnick@episteme.net> Tue, 04 December 2018 22:54 UTC

From: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, i18n-discuss@iab.org, idna-update@ietf.org, ima@ietf.org, precis@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 16:54:44 -0600
Subject: Re: [I18n-discuss] [Idna-update] [precis] draft-faltstrom-unicode11, i18n "directorate", and related issues

On 4 Dec 2018, at 16:02, Ted Hardie wrote:

> Given that the first suggestion here was that a document could not go
> through last call until it had been reviewed by the group and John's
> message seemed to indicate that its authority was not simply to advise
> an AD, I inferred that the intent was to set up a group with an
> independent authority to foster work or block documents.

Have a look at https://datatracker.ietf.org/help/state/draft/iesg. You
will see a state between "AD Evaluation" and "Last Call Requested"
called "Expert Review". At an AD's discretion, before a document is sent
for Last Call:

    An AD sometimes asks for an external review by an outside party as
    part of evaluating whether a document is ready for advancement.
    MIBs, for example, are reviewed by the "MIB doctors". Other types of
    reviews may also be requested (e.g., security, operations impact,
    etc.). Documents stay in this state until the review is complete and
    possibly until the issues raised in the review are addressed. See
    the "note" field for specific details on the nature of the review.

Moving a document out of Last Call back to AD Evaluation to send it for
Expert Review, and blocking on that state until such review is complete,
is and has been standard operating procedure for a long time. I see no
independent authority being added here that overrides the discretion of
the responsible AD.

> That seems to me to require discussion.

I disagree.

pr

--
Pete Resnick http://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best