Re: [I18ndir] draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Wed, 25 November 2020 21:34 UTC

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 16:34:16 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>
cc: Asmus Freytag <asmus@unicode.org>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, barryleiba@computer.org, i18ndir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [I18ndir] draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis

Alissa,

Thanks for your note.  There are three important reasons why you
have not heard back from me on your second point or this
document more generally:

(1)  I continue to believe that language with the meaning of
"you SHOULD do X but, if you cannot, then..." not only does not
violate some principle about what the IETF cannot do in a
consensus document, but is something we have done several times
in the past.  Now there _is_ a problem: the existing text in
RFCs 5890-5892 and 5894 essentially says that registries and
registrars MUST behave in certain ways.  That text not only had
consensus in the IETF but, as I pointed out in my note to Scott,
was the subject of semi-formal agreements with and among ICANN
and relevant constituencies.  Part of what prompted this
document was that requirement is being ignored at the top levels
of the DNS, ICANN has chosen to not enforce it or feels unable
to do so, and we (not just Asmus and I) believed that some
clarification was in order to allow moving forward with other
IDN work.  Now, in terms of what the IETF does in more usual
circumstances, we might reasonably say to ourselves "well, that
MUST is not being followed, let's amend/update the base
documents to make it a SHOULD with or without text explaining
why following the SHOULD would be a good idea".  There are three
problems with that approach in this case.  First, for such a
statement to work in the IETF, "not being followed" would
normally be accompanied by "and there has been no damage".  But
damage (that some consider serious) has occurred with
opportunities for clear interoperability and/or security
problems: the MUST-level requirement in the text is consistent
with the principle that MUST should be used when the alternative
is interoperability problems.   Second, in the community at
issue, SHOULD would be almost certain to be interpreted as
"unless we think it is against our best interests (whether
financial or otherwise)", thereby opening the door wide to
precisely the type of abuses draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis is
intended to mitigate.  The third problem isn't nearly as
important in principle but the long-ago decision to break
IDNA2008 into four (or five) documents would make explicitly
relaxing that requirement a lot of work that I don't see anyone
stepping forward to do (see (2) below).

So, to me, some variation on "you SHOULD do X and, if you don't,
you should consider..." language is The Right Thing To Do and we
should be working on how to make that work even if it is a bit
unusual.

(2) If we start rewriting that text, especially in subtle ways,
I think it would be very unwise to go forward --it would be
reasonable to say that I would be afraid of doing so-- without
very careful and collective review by a group of people whose
perspectives bear on all aspects of the IDNA situation.  While
not as strong as I would have liked, the intent of the I18N
Directorate was, at least in part, to provide exactly that sort
of review.  As far as I can tell, it has been almost completely
disfunctional since early in 2020, reaching a point sometime
last summer where neither Pete, nor Peter, nor Barry were even
responding to questions about how to proceed.  While the fixes
for your first concern (and some of the issues raised by Ben and
others) did not make any changes that I considered potentially
substantive (Asmus's comment about the changes not affecting the
substantial points is consistent with that), I do not think it
wise to move forward with this document except in the context of
a way to make that kind of review.  At present, I don't have any
good ideas about where that would come from, at least within the
IETF.

(3) This document, if approved, would serve two proposes.  The
first is really about ICANN and its problems.  If someone
violated the rules and their intent in a way that caused injury,
the document and what it points out about the earlier ones would
create a much more firm foundation for legal action against the
relevant registry and/or ICANN over the damaging behavior.  I
don't like it when things are done that way but, absent the
protocol police, the situation here should not be very different
than the exposure of a company that contracts to deliver a
working implementation of TCP/IP and then delivers something
that does not conform to our specs and, as a result, won't
interoperate.  Perhaps that is not the IETF's problem and we
should walk away but, from at least one reasonable perspective,
getting things to work together and helping identify the
problems when they don't is why we write standards.  The second
is to lay another key part of the foundation for other work on
IDNA that is clearly (at least to the likes of me, Asmus, and
Patrik and presumably to those who pushed for updated IANA
tables and the work that led to RFC 8753) needed at this point.
But, if the IETF is not going to do that work -- and both the
observation that two sets of reviews that should have been done
under RFC 8753 have not happened and the current state of the
directorate may be strong hints that it is either not inclined
or not able to do so -- then it may well be that putting more
energy into erecting a better foundation that will not be built
upon is not a good investment of time or energy.

I fortunately was not asked on Tuesday whether the IETF was
dealing with some particular i18n issue because I probably would
have needed to reply that the IETF was apparently not interested
and that, if they thought the problem was important, they either
needed to supply a lot more expertise to the IETF (and hope they
would be accepted) or to figure out another venue for addressing
the issues.  However, unless we figure out how to do things
differently, it is only a matter of time before that question is
asked.

Your thoughts (and those of others who receive this) welcome.

Have a good Thanksgiving.
    john

--On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 14:51 -0500 Alissa Cooper