Re: [I18ndir] Review volunteer needed (Fwd: [dispatch] WGLC of draft-ietf-dispatch-javascript-mjs-07)

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Wed, 29 April 2020 01:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 21:41:25 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>, Internationalization Directorate <i18ndir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [I18ndir] Review volunteer needed (Fwd: [dispatch] WGLC of draft-ietf-dispatch-javascript-mjs-07)

Pete,

Since some hours have gone by without a response to your message
and I was in need of an excuse to delay getting to an unpleasant
task...

This note does not constitute either a review or an offer to do
one, but I just took a quick look at RFC 4329 and the diff and,
in a few seconds, found one statement/requirement in 4329 that
is unchanged (although circumstances have) that is an invitation
to a world of grief.  In addition, given Section 4.1, the
algorithm in 4.2 (both versions) is incomplete and can result in
a fairly serious error.

Moreover, if I correctly understand what seems like unnecessary
convoluted text (in both versions) a BOM is ignored in further
processing if the character encoding scheme is determined to be
UTF-8 in 4.2(2) or 4.2(3) but not ignored if charset="UTF-8" is
present and the BOM occurs anyway (something clearly allowed by
RFC 3629).  That doesn't appear to make sense.  If it was
intended, enough of an explanation would be in order that the
reader does not concluded it is just a mistake in the document
(I notice the I-D already corrected a mistake in 4329).  So,
having spent five minutes with 4329 and the diff and another
five writing this note, I can say with some confidence that the
I-D needs work and that someone is going to need to work with
the document authors to explain the issues, some of which are
substantive, not just text in need of tuning, and sort things
out.   You may be looking for a volunteer to do that job, not
just an early reviewer.

Back to lurking.
    john

--On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 14:14 -0500 Pete Resnick