Re: [I2nsf] WGLC and IPR poll for draft-ietf-i2nsf-sdn-ipsec-flow-protection-04

Rafa Marin-Lopez <rafa@um.es> Fri, 24 May 2019 09:29 UTC

From: Rafa Marin-Lopez <rafa@um.es>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 11:29:39 +0200
Cc: Rafa Marin-Lopez <rafa@um.es>, Gabriel Lopez <gabilm@um.es>, Fernando Pereñíguez García <fernando.pereniguez@cud.upct.es>, i2nsf@ietf.org, "Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong" <jaehoon.paul@gmail.com>, Yoav Nir <ynir.ietf@gmail.com>
To: Linda Dunbar <dunbar.ll@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [I2nsf] WGLC and IPR poll for draft-ietf-i2nsf-sdn-ipsec-flow-protection-04

Hi Linda:

> El 21 may 2019, a las 23:02, Linda Dunbar <dunbar.ll@gmail.com> escribió:
>
> Gabriel and Rofa,
>
> Just to clarify: the purpose of asking you changing from "container.." to "grouping.." is for  "i2nsf-nsf-facing-interface-dm"  to the "ikev2" and "ietf-ipsec" structure defined in draft-ietf-i2nsf-sdn-ipsec-flow-protection.

Yes, that was clear from the beginning. One of the concern I see is the following:

If the industry only wants to implement draft-ietf-i2nsf-sdn-ipsec-flow-protection for IPsec management, it can do it only if we leave the document as it is. In other words, the ideas in the document were designed to be standalone and that is why the container definition.

For example, if you check https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8519 my understanding is a device can deploy that RFC to manage ACLs. It does not need to implement anything else. IPsec YANG model is defined in the same way.

If we change from “container” to “grouping ..” then we would remove that option which, in my opinion, is not good.

I think Paul’s suggestion is in this line as well when he mentioned that their data models assumed that the actual IPsec configuration will be handled by IPsec module through NETCONF (draft-ietf-i2nsf-sdn-ipsec-flow-protection), and our I2NSF interfaces will do nothing related to the IPsec configuration.

In other words, it seems to me there is no need to integrate both.

Best Regards.