Re: [I2nsf] Stability call for draft-ietf-i2nsf-terminology-03

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Mon, 29 May 2017 14:45 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "i2nsf@ietf.org" <i2nsf@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 14:45:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.3]
Subject: Re: [I2nsf] Stability call for draft-ietf-i2nsf-terminology-03

Hi Adrian, all,

Yes, but I have some minor concerns. Please find below some comments about this draft:

* Please consider removing the use of the normative language in this text:

   Assertion:  Defined by the ITU in [X.1252] as "a statement made by
      an entity without accompanying evidence of its validity". In the
      context of I2NSF, an assertion MAY include metadata about all or
                                     ^^^^
      part of the assertion (e.g., context of the assertion, or about
      timestamp indicating the point in time the assertion was
      created). The validity of an assertion cannot be verified.
      (from [I-D.ietf-sacm-terminology]).

* Make the following change

OLD:

   Capability:  A set of features that are available from an I2NSF
      Component. These functions may, but do not have to, be used. All

NEW:

   Capability:  A set of features that are available from an I2NSF
      Component. These features may, but do not have to, be used. All

* I don't understand this text:

      "Examples are Capabilities that are available from an
      NSF Server."

Especially, what is an NSF Server?

* Consider removing these entries

Client:  See I2NSF Consumer.
Client-Facing Interface:  See I2NSF Consumer-Facing Interface.

I would avoid defining redundant entries.

* I don't understand this one:

   Component:  An encapsulation of software that communicates using
      Interfaces. A Component may be implemented by hardware and/or
      software, and be represented using a set of classes. In general,
      a Component encapsulates a set of data structures and a set of
      algorithms that implement the function(s) that it provides.

* What is an "Entity"? This term is called out in many entries. It would be OK if "entity" was used, but I guess the use of "Entity" is on purpose.

* Not sure to understand why 'building block' is mentioned here. Saying that it is about how data is structured/organized would be simple, IMO.

   Data Structure:  A low-level building block that is used in
      programming to implement an algorithm. A data model typically
      contains multiple types of data structures; however, a data
      structure does not contain a data model. Note the difference
      between a data **model** and a data **structure**.

* Please double check the wording of this sentence:

I2NSF Components are managed and communicate with other
      I2NSF Components using I2NSF Interfaces.

Cheers,
Med