Re: [i2rs] [yang-doctors] draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology

Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com> Wed, 08 July 2020 15:47 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: "'Reshad Rahman (rrahman)'" <rrahman@cisco.com>, yang-doctors@ietf.org, i2rs@ietf.org
Cc: martin.vigoureux@nokia.com, 'Benjamin Kaduk' <kaduk@mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 11:47:45 -0400
Subject: Re: [i2rs] [yang-doctors] draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology

Reshad:

Thank you for quick response.   However, I’m confused.   Where do you see the IP address in the Yang snippet I sent?  It is a MAC Address (type yang:mac-address)?  If the system port allows IP, it will respond to the ARP request with the appropriate IP/MAC match in an ARP reply.

In real implementations I2rs implementers examined,

·         L2 port with mgmt-mac-address seems to be used to only send LLDP packets,

·         L2 port with sys-mac-address seems to be used for management using TCP/IP.

If we swap the names, it did not work with the initial implementers of the yang model.  The  I2RS Topology models are used for operational management of switches and routers as logical units.

Also, your response does not seem to match my questions:

1) Is this the normal assumption for yang models?

2) If not, what is the normal assumption on system mac addresses?

3) Am I correct that switches with more than 1 system MAC will augment their basic yang model with the second system MAC Address?

I’m sorry to bother you but this document is being reviewed by the IESG  tomorrow (Thursday) and

I am the shepherd.  I do not know how to answer some of the yang related questions regarding multiple system ports to exchange management configuration on.

I had thought that netconf/restconf would be exchanged over the same ports so the yang doctors would know what the normal custom should be.

Thanks again!

Sue