Re: [i2rs] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology-14: (with DISCUSS)

Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com> Thu, 09 July 2020 14:27 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Magnus Westerlund' <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology@ietf.org, i2rs-chairs@ietf.org, i2rs@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 10:27:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [i2rs] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology-14: (with DISCUSS)

Magnus:

Thank you for raising this process discuss.

The authors and I strong desire the I2RS model to be a NM management model that imports the appropriate things from IEEE.

I have two points you should add to your process discuss:

1) Where did the coordination instructions change for the WG chair?

In the midst of the discussion within the IESG would you please consider how to provide better instructions for the lowly chair and authors on this topic.   In the past, the IESG sent information to IEEE-IETF.    (I was scribe during the first meeting of the IETF-IESG over the TRILL issue).   I was the TRILL chair for the last years of the TRILL WGs life.   I have participated in the IEEE 802.1 and IETF during the TRILL issue when we were trying to resolve a common management for TRILL between IEEE and IETF.   During that time, it was important that a few focused voices discussed issues regarding TRILL.  It would help me to understand when this transitioned to chairs being able to send requests to the IEEE-IETF coordination list.

We also asked for numerous reviews by Yang Doctors who were knowledgeable regarding IETF.  I delayed publication request several times until it appeared all issues were resolved.   This "sudden" surprise is indeed amazing since the L2 is 5 years old.  It is older than the 8021Qcp-2018 official models.

2) Why are I2RS topology models are not seen as Network Management by the IEEE.

These are virtual topology models used by open source platforms for management.  (E.g. Open Daylight).

Sue