Re: [i2rs] Comments on I2RS and YANG suggestions (aka, finally woke up)

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Thu, 30 March 2017 17:30 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Joe Clarke' <jclarke@cisco.com>, i2rs@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 13:25:21 -0400
Subject: Re: [i2rs] Comments on I2RS and YANG suggestions (aka, finally woke up)

Joe:

Excellent questions.  The intent was to spin down the *hares* drafts.  I wished you’d asked the question in the meeting.   In my experience, you questions are always timely.  Please start a YANG module draft for I2RS.

My recommendation to I2RS/NETCONF/RESTCONF chairs was:

·        Expand revised datastores – to allow dynamic datastores + name

·        Add capabilities to NETCONF/RESTCONF for dynamic datastores and capability

·        Get volunteers from I2RS/NETMOD work on YANG syntax in NETMOD

·        Get volunteers from I2RS/NETCONF work on the NETCONF changes in NETCONF

·        Get volunteers from  I2RS/NETCONF work on the RESTCONF changes for ephemeral in NETCONF.

Open issues for these people:

·        Precedence:  (yang/protocols) – must determine how to prioritize between datastores during installation of configuration

·        Validation (yang/protocols) - does it need to be identified in YANG or is it an implementation specific?

·        RESTCONF (protocol) - how to encode client-id/priority in entity-tag

·        NETCONF  (protocol) – how to handle edit-collision (aka multiple client write)

·        Protocol support – how do you note what protocol and protocol features are needed to support this model.

Now -- to your specific comments:

·        Draft: This draft was intended to be a chair's kick start document on open issus.

·        Why Kickstart:   I started it when the revised datastores people did not open their github archive or publish drafts to make sure we covered this work at IETF.

o   Fortunately – they did release -01.txt revised datastores.

·        Content errors:

o   For edit-config, see the comments by Phil Schafer.

o   The ephemeral logic is backward =  (red face)

o   Revised datastores revisions-01 – did the following old/control-plane datastores/dynamic datastores/ (my draft worked off -00.txt)

Let me know if I’ve answered all the questions.

Sue Hares