Re: Question about IAFA file syntax

Alan Emtage <bajan@bunyip.com> Thu, 10 December 1992 00:06 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Alan Emtage <bajan@bunyip.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1992 17:01:17 -0500
To: J Paul Holbrook <holbrook@cic.net>, iafa@cc.mcgill.ca
Subject: Re: Question about IAFA file syntax

Hi Paul,

> I've been starting to try to create some IAFA- files for my FTP site.
> I went down to sunsite.unc.edu to see if they'd done anything, since
> Simon Spero mentioned at the IETF that they were going to try to get
> moving on this.
>
> The one IAFA file I could easily find was their IAFA-SITEINFO file.
>
> Here's a small sample from that file:
>
> Filename: IAFA-SITEINFO
>
> Name: calypso.oit.unc.edu
>
> Cname: sunsite.unc.edu
>
> Postal-Address: 310 Wilson Library CB# 3460
>
> Now, this file is dated Jul 92, so I know the draft IAFA docs have
> changed since then.  But in the draft IAFA documents, it appears that
> there are no blank lines between different fields, and further that
> the only text in column 0 is the tags, as in this example from the
> docs:
>
> Name:			foo.bar.org
> Preferred-Name:		ftp.bar.org
> Organization:		Beyond All Recognition Foundation
> Contact:		John Doe
> Electronic-Address:	FTP@bar.org
> Telephone:		+1 717 555 1212
>

> So which is correct?  We have to have some consistency if we expect to
> write simple tools to parse this stuff.

When in doubt, the docs define the "proper" syntax. The document
specifically says:

Naming conventions
------------------

[...]

(3) Fields in the same record must not contain any blank lines between
    them.

Additionally only the field tags or whitespace (for continuation lines)
appear in the first column (I can give you the reference there if you'd
like).

Hope this helps.

--
-Alan