Re: proposal for subjects in subject tree

Tony Barry <tony@info.anu.edu.au> Mon, 30 November 1992 07:09 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1992 16:15:42 +1000
To: timbl@nxoc01.cern.ch
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Tony Barry <tony@info.anu.edu.au>
Subject: Re: proposal for subjects in subject tree
Cc: Ton Verschuren <Ton.Verschuren@surfnet.nl>, eurogopher@ebone.net, gvl@unt.edu, iafa@cc.mcgill.ca, jkrey@isi.edu

Tim

you said -

>Does it matter if there is more than one subject tree?

Definitely not. Any subject tree can point to sub entries of any organised
by a different classification. Information _needs_ multiple views. We do
need to provide however those views which seekers of information are most
familiar and those are the common library classifications.

Any others are a bonus.

>then in fact only the top level of the tree will be different,
>perhaps all the bottom trees will be in common.

All trees will have the same leaves after all ;-)

Tony
Tony Barry. Head, Centre for Networked Access to Scholarly Information

    Australian National University Library     | fone   +61 6 249 4632
GPO Box 4 Canberra City A.C.T. 2601, AUSTRALIA | phax   +61 6 249 4063
  tony@info.anu.edu.au, Tony.Barry@anu.edu.au  | telex  10717252