Re: filenaming proposal for IAFA description files

Aydin Edguer <edguer@alpha.ces.cwru.edu> Fri, 16 October 1992 20:44 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.NRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Aydin Edguer <edguer@alpha.ces.cwru.edu>
Subject: Re: filenaming proposal for IAFA description files
To: iafa@cc.mcgill.ca
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1992 13:53:31 -0400

> The name that the IAFA draft suggests for UNIX sites, for this kind of
> information is IAFA-PACKAGES.
> The intention here is _not_ to have the same filename convention for
> every Operating System. This would necessarily mean that we'd have to
> stick to the lowest common denomenator, and that would be ridiculous.

Uhmm, although I am firmly against lowest common denominator for all
the file names in an archive (as previous comments may have shown) I
do disagree with you here.  According to the current IAFA documents,
the IAFA-PACKAGES and similar names are _REQUIRED_ names.  Thus I do
feel that for the IAFA mandated files (and only those!) we should go
with a lowest common denominator (e.g. 6.3 or whatever) file name.

In opposition,
Aydin Edguer