Re: IAFA documents

Aydin Edguer <edguer@alpha.ces.cwru.edu> Tue, 17 August 1993 22:26 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Aydin Edguer <edguer@alpha.ces.cwru.edu>
Subject: Re: IAFA documents
To: iafa@bunyip.com
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 17:00:47 EDT

>       (1) Files that may contain multiple instances of a given category
>           (a set of mailing lists, for example) will be divided into
>           records and each record containing multiple fields.
>       3.4.2 SCHEME 2: SINGLE-RECORD FILES
>
>       (2) No indexing file under this scheme may contain more than one
> 	  record (as defined above).

Excuse me, but could someone explain the reasoning behind this limitation?
I can understand why one might would want to limit a file to a single
Template-Type, I fail to see why it should be limited to one record.

The alternate method for naming indexing files may prove popular on ISO
CD-ROMs containing archives.  The limitation of one record per file seems
severe.

Thank you,
Aydin Edguer