filenaming proposal for IAFA description files

Markus Stumpf <stumpf@informatik.tu-muenchen.de> Thu, 15 October 1992 16:51 UTC

Newsgroups: lists.iafa
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.NRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Markus Stumpf <stumpf@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
To: iafa@cc.mcgill.ca
Subject: filenaming proposal for IAFA description files
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1992 15:05:31 +0100

Hello!

As you might know, we have started to convert our AFA to IAFA standard!
Along with this we started to compile description files for the programs
and documents stored here. We organize it to have a subdirectory for each
package and therein the tar-(or whatever) file and a file called
package.idx that contains the description!
We would also like to send back the idx-files to the authors and ask them
to incorporate them in their packages or distribute them along with them!
By now we have encountered problems mainly from the TeX area! There is a
programm called makeindex, which generates by default files ending in '.idx'.

Therefor I'd like to propose the ending .iir (IAFA Index Record) for all
files containing the IAFA description information!
Any comments?

To have a look at our slowly growing efforts, you might take a look at
our WAIS database, also accessible via gopher. Comments welcome!

Name=IAFA Descriptions - FTP.Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE
Type=7
Port=70
Path=7/.wais-db/ftp-index
Host=gopher.informatik.tu-muenchen.de

for WAISers:

(:source
   :version  3
   :ip-address "131.159.0.110"
   :ip-name "wais.informatik.tu-muenchen.de"
   :tcp-port 210
   :database-name "ftp-index"
   :cost 0.00
   :cost-unit :free
   :maintainer "stumpf@informatik.tu-muenchen.de"
   :description "Server created with WAIS release 8 b5 on Aug 19 16:53:13 1992 b
y root@dsrbg2"
)

From the goals and Milestones section of the IAFA-charter I see that IAFA
should become a RFC this November! Is this still up-to-date??

Is it to early to send the .iir files back to the authors and ask for their
support?

Ciao
	\Maex
 Markus Stumpf                        Markus.Stumpf@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE