Comments on draft-ietf-iiir-publishing-01.txt

Martijn Koster <m.koster@nexor.co.uk> Thu, 30 June 1994 16:17 UTC

To: iafa@bunyip.com, Alan Emtage <bajan@bunyip.com>
Cc: m.koster@nexor.co.uk
Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-iiir-publishing-01.txt
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 15:20:35 +0100
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Martijn Koster <m.koster@nexor.co.uk>

After reading draft-ietf-iiir-publishing-01.txt (previously
draft-ietf-iafa-publishing-01.txt) and doing some implementation work
on a template parser I have noted down some comments that I'd like to
see addressed before this draft becomes an RFC.

It looks long, but most points are minor; some concern things being
unclear, mistakes, formatting, and one or two are content specific.

I actually made some of my suggested corrections and changes in a local
copy, and produced a diff that I've appended. I hope this may be useful
in updating the document. The diff is bigger than the original, but this
way there is less chance of confusion between versions.

BTW, is the iafa list still the place to discuss this now the draft fits
under the iiir umbrella?

I look forward to your comments,

-- Martijn
__________
Internet: m.koster@nexor.co.uk
WWW: http://web.nexor.co.uk/mak/mak.html

Comments on draft-ietf-iiir-publishing-01.txt
Martijn Koster <m.koster@nexor.co.uk>
Thu Jun 30 10:28:03 BST 1994

Submitted to iafa@bunyip.com, bajan@bunyip.com (Alan Emtage)

---

1.3.1, last paragraph:

> It is hoped and expected that the methods of information
> dissemination described in this document will be superseded by a
> more comprehensive system in the relatively near future.

What exactly is meant here?

---

* 3, second paragraph:

> We offer such a standardized format so that if such information IS
> to be offered,

Is IS captialised to indicate <strong>is</strong> here?

---

3.3, point 3:

> All host IP addresses are given in "dotted-quad" (or
>      "dotted-decimal") notation.

These aren't explicitly entioned elsewhere, all hostnames are in FQDN.

---

3.3, point 5:

> date-time   =  [ day "," ] date time

time should be optional, see eg 3.8.4, Example 1, Last-Revision-Date.

---

3.3, point 9:

This specifies telephone numbers without the standard leading '+'
which is used in all the examples. I suggest the definition is
ammended to include the '+'.

---

3.6.1

It seems to me that Organization-Name and Organization-Type do not fit
into the template very well, where are the other ORGANIZATION*
elements, especially Handle? I suggest explicitly mentioning
ORGANIZATION* elements can be part of USER*, or adding an element
User-(ORGANIZATION*).

---

3.6.3

>      The following is a list of generic data element subcomponents used
>      when referring to particular resources.

It is unclear where these fit in. Can all templates have these? If so why
are things like "Description" and "Keywords" explicitly listed for
some other templates?

What is the relationship between Title, Short-Title, and things like
Name in normal templates?  Are Title and Short-Title recommended for
all templates, if not what point is really served by them being there?

---

3.7.1

Suggest "Alias" is renamed "Host-Alias" to indicate what the alias is for.

---

3.7.1, footnote <1>

The format for the Lat-Long should probably be in 3.3 Data Formats

---

3.7.1, example

Examples uses Name where the template specifies Host-Name. Suggest
the example is fixed.

-- 3.7.2

Where is Last-Modified-Date ? Suggest it is added.

The formatting of the description list is inconsistent.

---

3.7.2, Example:

> Preferred-Name: oxymoron-x.com.uk

The template specifies "Alias", and *.com.uk is an unknown domain.
Suggest:

  Alias: oxymoron-x.co.uk

---

3.7.3

The definition for *-Location-v* mentions a URL for the first time,
without definition or reference. I suggest these become "URI", or
preferrable, the entire document uses URL's.

> Update-Time: The time of the day

Suggest:

  Update-Time: The time of day

In the definition for Update-Policy "more" is misspelt "mores".

In footnote 3 the autodelete sentence misses the word "will", the "file"
and "files" are inconsistent, as is the formatting.

In the example a timezone of MEZ is used, which is illegal according to 3.3,
and the format is illegal anyway (with trailing year)

The URI's in *Location-v* have "URL:<url>". I know this is the current
thinking for URI's, but what's wrong with just the URL, as a _location_
is being described?

---

3.8.1, 2.1 and other places

I feel a bit unhappy about the use of handles without giving any indication
of how they are to be used other than :

> NOTE: A handle should be used in preference to a fully expanded entry
>  in those situations where a handle for an individual, group or
>  organization can be obtained and subsequently resolved by some other
>  (external) method (directory service).

My understanding is that in a multi-record IAFA file (e.g. and ALIWEB
index file) you can use a USER template with a handle, and then further
references to that record from other records in the file. In that case
no Directory service is required, as all information is available.
I suggest this scenario should be explicitly mentioned.

If you do want to use Directory services you're in a different
ballgame.  What can you fill in, if you don't know what directory
service is to be used, and what can automated index collectors do with
it if they don't know what directory to use to resolve it? You're
definately going to need a global White Pages URL here, and that won't
exist for a while.

There should be an indication of uniqueness, are Handles supposed to be
unique withing a multi-record document, a site, or world-wide.

---

3.8.2

> In a similar manner to the USER template, the ORGANIZATION template
>  provides common information which may be used in other (larger)
>  templates to yielding a central source of information.

"yielding" should be "yield"

---

3.8.3

Why serviceS when everything else is singular?

Example 2:

> Address: iafa@cc.mcgill.ca

Address is not defined, and "iafa@cc.mcgill.ca" probably has little
to do with fishlovers anyway?

---

3.8.4

Author-(USER*), Admin-(USER*) "may be repeated as often as necesarry"

Hmmm... Why are these for multiple people here, and not anywhere else?
How can we parse this, when you don't know where one person begins
and another ends, e.g.

   Author-Name: Martijn Koster
   Author-Email: emtage@bunyip.com

When parsing IAFA templates, what should one do with duplicate fields
normally? I consider them an error.

---

3.8.4

> Format-v*

Sounds like MIME types could be used here.

In the example Author-Home-Phone has an illegal semicolon.

In the example 1, Last-revision-date has an illegal date,
the month is too long and the time is missing (see also date-time
discussion above)

---

General formatting: some lines end in a period, others don't, even in
the same sections. Some of the lines wrap on standard vt100 screens.
Sometimes sentences are separated by double spaces, sometimes by
single ones.  Sometimes footnotes are referred to by "See Note <1>",
sometimes in brackets, sometimes by <1>. "etc." has't always got the
dot.

---

*** draft-ietf-iiir-publishing-01.txt	Thu Jun 30 11:43:29 1994
--- draft-ietf-iiir-publishing-01a.txt	Thu Jun 30 12:19:40 1994
***************
*** 7,22 ****
          Publishing Information on the Internet with Anonymous FTP
                     <draft-ietf-iiir-publishing-01.txt>

  Status of This Memo

! This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
  documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its Areas, and
! its Working Groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute working
! documents as Internet-Drafts.  Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid
! for a maximum of six months.  Internet-Drafts may be updated, replaced,
! or obsoleted by other documents at any time.  It is not appropriate to
  use Internet-Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as a
  "working draft" or "work in progress."

  Please send comments to Alan Emtage, bajan@bunyip.com

--- 7,22 ----
          Publishing Information on the Internet with Anonymous FTP
                     <draft-ietf-iiir-publishing-01.txt>

  Status of This Memo

! This document is an Internet-Draft. Internet-Drafts are working
  documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its Areas, and
! its Working Groups. Note that other groups may also distribute working
! documents as Internet-Drafts. Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid
! for a maximum of six months. Internet-Drafts may be updated, replaced,
! or obsoleted by other documents at any time. It is not appropriate to
  use Internet-Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as a
  "working draft" or "work in progress."

  Please send comments to Alan Emtage, bajan@bunyip.com

***************
*** 89,99 ****

  ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

  This document is the result of work done in the Internet Anonymous FTP
! Archives (IAFA) working group of the IETF.  Special thanks are due to
  George Brett, Jill Foster, Jim Fullton, Joan Gargano, Rebecca Guenther,
  John Kunze, Clifford Lynch, Pete Percival, Paul Peters, Cecilia Preston,
  Peggy Seiden, Craig Summerhill, Chris Weider and Janet Vratney.

--- 89,99 ----

  ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

  This document is the result of work done in the Internet Anonymous FTP
! Archives (IAFA) working group of the IETF. Special thanks are due to
  George Brett, Jill Foster, Jim Fullton, Joan Gargano, Rebecca Guenther,
  John Kunze, Clifford Lynch, Pete Percival, Paul Peters, Cecilia Preston,
  Peggy Seiden, Craig Summerhill, Chris Weider and Janet Vratney.

***************
*** 102,112 ****
  Over the past several years, Anonymous FTP has become the primary method
  of publishing information in the Internet environment. Anonymous FTP is
  an application-level service that makes use of the File Transfer Protocol
  [1], one of the principal protocols of the TCP/IP suite. A well organized
  and well maintained Anonymous FTP archive (AFA) can provide a relatively
! cheap and simple way to distribute the software, documents, datasets
  images and other sources of information that are produced for general
  availability on the network today.

  Those groups wishing to set up an Anonymous FTP Archive should refer to
  "A Guide to Anonymous FTP Site Administration" [2], which provides
--- 102,112 ----
  Over the past several years, Anonymous FTP has become the primary method
  of publishing information in the Internet environment. Anonymous FTP is
  an application-level service that makes use of the File Transfer Protocol
  [1], one of the principal protocols of the TCP/IP suite. A well organized
  and well maintained Anonymous FTP archive (AFA) can provide a relatively
! cheap and simple way to distribute the software, documents, datasets,
  images and other sources of information that are produced for general
  availability on the network today.

  Those groups wishing to set up an Anonymous FTP Archive should refer to
  "A Guide to Anonymous FTP Site Administration" [2], which provides
***************
*** 135,145 ****
  be distributed.

  In Section 2 we make recommendations that are intended to provide a
  standardized means for sharing information about the contents of a
  specific archive site such as as services provided by the institution,
! document abstracts, software descriptions. In addition administrative
  contacts, local time zone and other site-specific details may be given.

  Section 3 contains a set of encoding procedures for the information
  outlined in Section 2. These procedures allow the you, the AFA
  administrator, to take into account site-specific issues such as whether
--- 135,145 ----
  be distributed.

  In Section 2 we make recommendations that are intended to provide a
  standardized means for sharing information about the contents of a
  specific archive site such as as services provided by the institution,
! document abstracts, and software descriptions. In addition administrative
  contacts, local time zone and other site-specific details may be given.

  Section 3 contains a set of encoding procedures for the information
  outlined in Section 2. These procedures allow the you, the AFA
  administrator, to take into account site-specific issues such as whether
***************
*** 297,331 ****
        In order to describe each individual or group in a particular
        template, the following common data element subcomponents are
        defined. To avoid being repetitive, "individual" in this context
        should be read as "individual or group".

!         - Name of individual

          - Name of organization to which individual belongs or under who's
!           authority this information is being made

          - Type of organization to which this individual belongs
            (University, commercial organization etc.)

!         - Work telephone number of individual

!         - FAX (facsimile) telephone number of individual

!         - Postal address of individual

!         - Job title of individual (if appropriate)

!         - Department to which individual belongs

!         - Electronic mail address of individual

!         - Home telephone number of individual

!         - Home postal address of individual

!         - Handle

        2.1.2 ORGANIZATIONS

        The following elements apply when describing organizations and are a
[...]

*** 333,389 ****
        some of the elements above (such as home phone number) make no
        sense when being applied to an organization. As above, the
        following may be subcomponents in a larger, hierarchically
        structured data element name.

!         - Name of organization

          - Type of organization to which this individual or group belongs
            (University, commercial organization etc.)

!         - Postal address of organization

!         - Electronic mail address of organization

!         - Phone number of organization

!         - Fax number of organization

!         - City of organization

!         - State (province) of organization

!         - Country of organization

!         - Handle

        2.1.3 RESOURCE INFORMATION

          The following is a list of generic data element subcomponents
          used when referring to particular resources.

!         - A complete title for the resource

!         - Short title

!         - City of resource

!         - State (or Province) of resource

!         - Country of resource

!         - Description

          - Any keywords which might be applied to the resource that would
!           facilitate users' locating this information

!         - Type of resource

!         - Uniform Resource Identifier

!         - Comment

     2.2 SITE-SPECIFIC CONFIGURATION INFORMATION

     Information about your archive site itself can often be valuable to
     users of your system in order for them to utilize the resource in an
[...]

*** 390,425 ****
     efficient manner.

        2.2.1 CONFIGURATION INFORMATION

        Site configuration information will help users better understand
!       your wishes on how and when to access your AFA.  This would
        include such information as:

        Site Information:

!         - Primary host name of the AFA

!         - A valid Domain Name System alias (CNAME) for this host [5]

!         - Individual contact information for site owner(s)

          - Individual contact information for site maintainer
!           (administrators)

!         - Sponsoring organization contact information

!         - The geographical (latitude/longitude) location

!         - The time zone of the site

          - Individual contact information for last person last modifying
!           this record

!         - The frequency with which the archive site is generally modified

!         - Times of preferred access for this site

          - A summary of the access policies of this site. This should
            include such information as preferred times of usage,
            conventions or restrictions for uploading files to this site
            etc.
[...]

*** 430,440 ****
            software for a specific machine type, on-line copies of a
            particular type of literature or research papers and
            information in a particular branch of science or arts) you
            should indicate this.

!         - Resource information as defined in the resource cluster

        2.2.2 LOGICAL ARCHIVES CONFIGURATION

--- 430,440 ----
            software for a specific machine type, on-line copies of a
            particular type of literature or research papers and
            information in a particular branch of science or arts) you
            should indicate this.

!         - Resource information as defined in the resource cluster.

        2.2.2 LOGICAL ARCHIVES CONFIGURATION

***************
*** 448,477 ****
        Logical Archive specific and site-specific information separately.

        Logical Archive configuration:

          - Individual contact information for site maintainer
!           (administrators)

          - A valid Domain Name System alias (CNAME) for this host [5] when
!           referring to this logical archive

!         - Owning organization contact information

!         - Sponsoring organization contact information

          - Individual contact information for last person last modifying
!           this record

!         - A summary of the access policies of this logical archive

          - A summary of the type of information that this logical archive may
!           specialize in

!         - The frequency with which the archive site is generally modified

!         - Resource information as defined in the resource cluster

     2.3 SITE-SPECIFIC CONTENT INFORMATION

     The preceding collections of information make available access and
[...]

*** 498,554 ****

          This description would then indicate whether the the parent
          organization offers such services as:

!         o on-line library catalogues

          o Interactive on-line information services such as WAIS, gopher,
!           Prospero, World Wide Web or archie

          o specialized information servers such as those providing
            weather, geographic information, newswire feeds etc.

!         o Other information services

        The following information can be made available:

!         - Title of service

!         - Short title of service

!         - Name of host providing service

!         - Protocol used by service

!         - Port number of service

          - Required access protocol (telnet, FTP, etc.),

!         - Contact information for service administration

!         - A description of the service

          - Authentication information (login name, password etc. if
!           required) or method for authentication (private key etc)

!         - Description of registration process

!         - Charging policies for service

!         - Policies & restrictions on service use

!         - Access times for service

          - Any keywords which might be applied to the record that would
!           facilitate users' finding this service

!         - Information on last modification times of this record

!         - Information on last verification times of this record

!         - Uniform Resource Identifier

        2.3.2 DOCUMENTS, DATASETS, MAILING LIST ARCHIVES, USENET ARCHIVES,
              SOFTWARE PACKAGES, IMAGES AND OTHER OBJECTS

[...]

*** 562,631 ****
        This is NOT intended to be an official catalog entry in the sense
        used by librarians. It is a simple way to describe documents and
        announce their availability. More formal methods may be used
        elsewhere to further describe the documents.

!         - Type of object

          - Category (for documents this would be technical report,
!           conference paper etc)

          - Name of object. For example, the name of the mailing list,
            software package or title of the document.

!         - Names and other contact information on the authors

          - Names and other contact information for object
!           maintainer/administrator

!         - Version designator

!         - Source of data

!         - Abstract/description of the object

!         - Bibliographic entry

!         - Citation

          - Special considerations or restrictions on the object's use (e.g.,
            in the case of a software package programming
            languages/environments needed, hardware restrictions, etc).

          - Publication status (For documents: draft, published etc. For
            software packages: beta test, production etc.)

!         - Contact information of publisher

!         - Copyright and copying policy

!         - Creation date

!         - Appropriate keywords for this object

          - Discussion forums appropriate for this object (mailing lists,
            USENET newsgroups etc.)

!         - Format of the object (variant)

!         - Size (variant)

!         - Language (variant)

!         - Character set (variant)

!         - ISBN (variant)

!         - ISSN (variant)

!         - Method of access (anonymous FTP etc)

!         - Last revision date (variant)

!         - Library Cataloging information

!         - URI

  3. INFORMATION ENCODING FOR SPECIFIC ENVIRONMENTS

[...]

*** 756,766 ****
     4) All numeric values are in decimal unless otherwise stated.

     5) Dates/times must be given as defined in RFC 822, Section 5.1 and
        modified in RFC 1123, Section 5.2.14 [7]:

!      date-time   =  [ day "," ] date time        ; dd mm yy
                                                   ;  hh:mm:ss zzz

       day         =  "Mon"  / "Tue" /  "Wed"  / "Thu"
                   /  "Fri"  / "Sat" /  "Sun"

--- 756,766 ----
     4) All numeric values are in decimal unless otherwise stated.

     5) Dates/times must be given as defined in RFC 822, Section 5.1 and
        modified in RFC 1123, Section 5.2.14 [7]:

!      date-time   =  [ day "," ] date [time]      ; dd mm yy
                                                   ;  hh:mm:ss zzz

       day         =  "Mon"  / "Tue" /  "Wed"  / "Thu"
                   /  "Fri"  / "Sat" /  "Sun"

***************
*** 793,804 ****
        While the string "12:36:47 GMT" is a valid time. Quoting from RFC
        1123, Section 5.2.14:

           There is a strong trend towards the use of numeric timezone
           indicators, and implementations SHOULD use numeric timezones
!          instead of timezone names.  However, all implementations MUST
!          accept either notation.  If timezone names are used, they MUST
           be exactly as defined in RFC-822.

     6) Time ranges (or periods) must be specified as pairs of time values
        (as defined above in note (5)), separated by a "/".
--- 793,804 ----
        While the string "12:36:47 GMT" is a valid time. Quoting from RFC
        1123, Section 5.2.14:

           There is a strong trend towards the use of numeric timezone
           indicators, and implementations SHOULD use numeric timezones
!          instead of timezone names. However, all implementations MUST
!          accept either notation. If timezone names are used, they MUST
           be exactly as defined in RFC-822.

     6) Time ranges (or periods) must be specified as pairs of time values
        (as defined above in note (5)), separated by a "/".
***************
*** 814,845 ****
        (octal 11) ASCII characters.

     8) References to "UT" mean Universal Time (also known as Greenwich Mean
        Time or "GMT").

!    9) All telephone numbers are to be given as a minimum in full with
!       country and routing codes without separators. The number should be
!       given assuming someone calling internationally. The number given in
!       the local convention may optionally be specified.

        For example,

!       Telephone: 1 514 875 8189  (+1-514-875-8611)

        or

!       Telephone: 44 71 732 8011
!
     3.4 FILE NAMING

     For the greatest flexibility, it is assumed that unless otherwise
     stated each file containing the indexing information may reside
     anywhere in the anonymous FTP subtree and in addition, any number of
     these files may exist. The intention here is that they may be placed
     in the same location as the information they are indexing. You, as the
     administrator are free to place these files wherever you think
!    appropriate in most cases.  However, some files may carry information
     from their place in the directory structure and therefore they may not
     just be randomly placed in the archive.

     One of two naming schemes may be used to provide maximum flexibility to
     the archive administrator to allow use on as varied a set of hardware
--- 814,866 ----
        (octal 11) ASCII characters.

     8) References to "UT" mean Universal Time (also known as Greenwich Mean
        Time or "GMT").

!    9) All telephone numbers are to be given as a minimum in full, with
!       a leading '+' and country and routing codes without separators.
!       The number should be given assuming someone calling internationally.
!       The number given in the local convention may optionally be specified.

        For example,

!       Telephone: +1 514 875 8189  (1-514-875-8611)

        or

!       Telephone: +44 71 732 8011
!
!    10) Latitude and longitude are specified in that order as
!
!                 CDD.MM.SS/CDD.MM.SS
!
!        Where
!          DD is in degrees
!          MM is in minutes
!          SS is in seconds
!          C is the direction designator which is
!
!          For latitude
!            "+"  is north of the equator
!            "-"  is south of the equator
!
!          For longitude
!            "+"  is west of the Greenwich meridian
!            "-"  is east of the Greenwich meridian
!
!          The double quotes (") are not part of the designator, but are
!          used here to delimit the symbols.
!
     3.4 FILE NAMING

     For the greatest flexibility, it is assumed that unless otherwise
     stated each file containing the indexing information may reside
     anywhere in the anonymous FTP subtree and in addition, any number of
     these files may exist. The intention here is that they may be placed
     in the same location as the information they are indexing. You, as the
     administrator are free to place these files wherever you think
!    appropriate in most cases. However, some files may carry information
     from their place in the directory structure and therefore they may not
     just be randomly placed in the archive.

     One of two naming schemes may be used to provide maximum flexibility to
     the archive administrator to allow use on as varied a set of hardware
***************
*** 955,996 ****
        3.6.1 INDIVIDUALS OR GROUPS

          Data Element Name       Description

!         Name                    Name of individual
!
!         Organization-Name       Name of organization to which individual
!                                 belongs or under whose authority
!                                 this information is being made
!
!         Organization-Type       Type of organization to which this
!                                 individual belongs (University,
!                                 commercial organization etc.)

!         Work-Phone              Work telephone number of individual

          Work-Fax                FAX (facsimile) telephone number of
!                                 individual

!         Work-Postal             Postal address of individual

!         Job-Title               Job title of individual (if appropriate)

!         Department              Department to which individual belongs

!         Email                   Electronic mail address of individual

!         Handle                  Unique identifier for this record

!         Home-Phone              Home telephone number of individual

!         Home-Postal             Home postal address of individual

          Home-Fax                FAX (facsimile) telephone number of
!                                 individual

          This cluster will be referred to as "USER*" in the template
          definitions below.

        3.6.2 ORGANIZATIONS
--- 976,1013 ----
[...]

+         This cluster can also contain any of the elements of the
+         ORGANIZATIONS cluster described in 3.6.2, to describe the
+         organization to which individual belongs or under whose authority
+         the information is being made.

*** 1001,1061 ****
        some of the elements above (such as home phone number) make no
        sense when being applied to an organization. As above, the
        following may be subcomponents in a larger, hierarchically
        structured data element name.

!         Data Element Name       Description

!         Organization-Name       Name of organization

          Organization-Type       Type of organization to which this
                                  individual or group belongs (University,
                                  commercial organization etc.)

!         Organization-Postal     Postal address of organization

!         Organization-City       City of organization

!         Organization-State      State (province) of organization

!         Organization-Country    Country of organization

!         Organization-Email      Electronic mail address of organization

!         Organization-Phone      Phone number of organization

!         Organization-Fax        Fax number of organization

!         Organization-Handle     Handle of organization

          This cluster will be referred to as "ORGANIZATION*" in the
          template definitions below.

        3.6.3 MISCELLANEOUS

        The following is a list of generic data element subcomponents used
!       when referring to particular resources.

          Data Element Name       Description

!         Title                   A complete title for the resource

!         Short-Title             Summary title

!         City                    City of resource

!         State                   State (Province, etc) of resource

!         Country                 Country of resource

!         Description             Description of resource

!         Keywords                Any keywords which might be applied to the record
!                                 that would facilitate users' finding this
!                                 resource.

!         URI                     Uniform Resource Identifier

     3.7 TEMPLATE DEFINITIONS

--- 1018,1079 ----
[...]

!       when referring to particular resources. These can be added to any
!       of the templates described below.

          Data Element Name       Description

!         Title                   A complete title for the resource.

!         Short-Title             Summary title.

!         City                    City of resource.

!         State                   State (Province, etc) of resource.

!         Country                 Country of resource.

!         Description             Description of resource.

!         Keywords                Any keywords which might be applied to the
!                                 record that would facilitate users' finding
!                                 this resource.

!         URI                     Uniform Resource Identifier.

     3.7 TEMPLATE DEFINITIONS

***************
*** 1071,1088 ****

        Fields for this file.

          Template-Name:          SITEINFO

!         Host-Name:      Primary Domain Name System host name

!         Alias:          Preferred DNS-registered name for the
                          AFA host. This name must be valid CNAME
                          entry in the Domain Name System.

!         Admin-(USER*):
!                         Contact information of the individual or
                          group responsible for administering this
                          site.

          Owner-(ORGANIZATION*):
                          Contact information for the organization
--- 1089,1105 ----

        Fields for this file.

          Template-Name:          SITEINFO

!         Host-Name:      Primary Domain Name System host name.

!         Host-Alias:     Preferred DNS-registered name for the
                          AFA host. This name must be valid CNAME
                          entry in the Domain Name System.

!         Admin-(USER*):  Contact information of the individual or
                          group responsible for administering this
                          site.

          Owner-(ORGANIZATION*):
                          Contact information for the organization
***************
*** 1090,1185 ****

          Sponsoring-(ORGANIZATION*):
                          Contact information for the organization
                          sponsoring this site.

!         City:           City of the host

!         State:          State (province) of the host

!         Country:        Country of the host

          Latitude-Longitude:
!                         Latitude and longitude of site (See Note <1>)

          Timezone:       Timezone as defined in section 3.3 above.

          Record-Last-Modified-(USER*):
                          Contact information for individual who
!                         last modified this record

          Record-Last-Modified-Date:
!                         The date this record was last modified

          Record-Last-Verified-(USER*):
                          Contact information of person or group
                          last verifying that this record was
!                         accurate

          Record-Last-Verified-Date:
                          The date the last time this record was
!                         verified

          Update-Frequency:
                          Preferred frequency of retrieval of all
                          AFA extended configuration information by
!                         automated retrieval tools (See Note <2>)

          Access-Times:   Time ranges (as defined in Section 3.3) of access
!                         to anonymous FTP users

          Access-Policy:  Information such as conventions or
                          restrictions for uploading files to this
                          site etc.

!                         specialization for this site.  For example, if
                          the site contains information related to the
                          field of molecular biology a paragraph or two with
                          the keywords "molecular biology" and some further
!                         description would be in order.  It should also
                          mention if this site contains "logical" archives.

!                         of this AFA

        Notes for this template.

!       <1> Latitude and longitude are specified in that order as
!
!                 CDD.MM.SS/CDD.MM.SS
!
!        Where
!          DD is in degrees
!          MM is in minutes
!          SS is in seconds
!          C is the direction designator which is
!
!          For latitude
!            "+"  is north of the equator
!            "-"  is south of the equator
!
!          For longitude
!            "+"  is west of the Greenwich meridian
!            "-"  is east of the Greenwich meridian
!
!          The double quotes (") are not part of the designator, but are
!          used here to delimit the symbols.
!
!       <2> The period is measured in days. This value should be chosen to
            reflect the turnover of information at the archive.

     An example of a SITEINFO record:

     Template-Type:       SITEINFO
!    Name:                foo.bar.org
!    Preferred-Name:      ftp.bar.org
     Admin-Name:          John Doe
     Admin-Work-Postal:   PO Box. 6977, Marinetown, PA 17602
     Admin-Work-Phone:    +1 717 555 1212
     Admin-Work-Fax:      +1 717 555 1213
     Admin-Email:         FTP@bar.org
--- 1107,1181 ----

          Sponsoring-(ORGANIZATION*):
[...]

!                         automated retrieval tools. (See Note <1>)

          Access-Times:   Time ranges (as defined in Section 3.3) of access
!                         to anonymous FTP users.

          Access-Policy:  Information such as conventions or
                          restrictions for uploading files to this
                          site etc.

!                         specialization for this site. For example, if
                          the site contains information related to the
                          field of molecular biology a paragraph or two with
                          the keywords "molecular biology" and some further
!                         description would be in order. It should also
                          mention if this site contains "logical" archives.

!                         of this AFA.

        Notes for this template.

!       <1> The period is measured in days. This value should be chosen to
            reflect the turnover of information at the archive.

     An example of a SITEINFO record:

     Template-Type:       SITEINFO
!    Host-Name:           foo.bar.org
!    Host-Alias:          ftp.bar.org
     Admin-Name:          John Doe
     Admin-Work-Postal:   PO Box. 6977, Marinetown, PA 17602
     Admin-Work-Phone:    +1 717 555 1212
     Admin-Work-Fax:      +1 717 555 1213
     Admin-Email:         FTP@bar.org
***************
*** 1195,1211 ****
     Update-Frequency:    10
     Access-Times:        02:00 GMT / 08:00 GMT  18:00 GMT / 21:00 GMT
     Access-Policy:       Non-proprietary data may be uploaded to
                          this site in the "incoming" directory.
                          Please contact site administrators if you
!                         do so.  Proprietary material found in this
!                         directory will be removed.  This site is
                          not to be used as a temporary storage
                          area.
                          sequencing particularly Yeast chromosome
!                         1. Datasets are available.  There is also
                          a selection of programs available for
                          manipulating this information.

--- 1191,1207 ----
     Update-Frequency:    10
     Access-Times:        02:00 GMT / 08:00 GMT  18:00 GMT / 21:00 GMT
     Access-Policy:       Non-proprietary data may be uploaded to
                          this site in the "incoming" directory.
                          Please contact site administrators if you
!                         do so. Proprietary material found in this
!                         directory will be removed. This site is
                          not to be used as a temporary storage
                          area.
                          sequencing particularly Yeast chromosome
!                         1. Datasets are available. There is also
                          a selection of programs available for
                          manipulating this information.

***************
*** 1218,1273 ****
        exists and all subdirectories are part of the logical archive.

        Any number of these files may exist in the archive, but only one per
        directory.

!       Template-Type:            LARCHIVE

!       Admin-(USER*):
!                               Contact information of the individual or
                                group responsible for administering this site.

!       Alias:                  Preferred DNS-registered name for the AFA host as
                                this logical archive. This name must be
                                valid CNAME entry in the Domain Name System.

!       Owner-(ORGANIZATION*):
!                               Contact information for the organization owning
                                this site.

        Sponsoring-(ORGANIZATION*):
                                Contact information for the organization
                                sponsoring this site.

        Record-Last-Modified-(USER*):
                                Contact information for individual who last
!                               modified this record

        Record-Last-Verified-(USER*):
                                Contact information of person or group
                                last verifying that this record was
!                               accurate

        Record-Last-Verified-Date:
                                The date the last time this record was
!                               verified

        Access-Policy:          Information such as conventions or
                                restrictions for uploading files to this
                                logical archive.

!                               specialization for the logical archive

!       Update-Frequency:
!                               Preferred frequency of retrieval of all AFA
                                extended configuration information by
!                               automated retrieval tools (See Note <1>)

!       Keywords:      Appropriate keywords describing contents of this
!                               logical AFA

        Notes for this record.

--- 1214,1270 ----
        exists and all subdirectories are part of the logical archive.

        Any number of these files may exist in the archive, but only one per
        directory.

!       Template-Type:           LARCHIVE

!       Admin-(USER*):          Contact information of the individual or
                                group responsible for administering this site.

!       Host-Alias:             Preferred DNS-registered name for the AFA host as
                                this logical archive. This name must be
                                valid CNAME entry in the Domain Name System.

!       Owner-(ORGANIZATION*):  Contact information for the organization owning
                                this site.

        Sponsoring-(ORGANIZATION*):
                                Contact information for the organization
                                sponsoring this site.

        Record-Last-Modified-(USER*):
                                Contact information for individual who last
!                               modified this record.

+       Record-Last-Modified-Date:
+                               The date the last time this record was
+                               modified.
+
        Record-Last-Verified-(USER*):
                                Contact information of person or group
                                last verifying that this record was
!                               accurate.

        Record-Last-Verified-Date:
                                The date the last time this record was
!                               verified.

        Access-Policy:          Information such as conventions or
                                restrictions for uploading files to this
                                logical archive.

!                               specialization for the logical archive.

!       Update-Frequency:       Preferred frequency of retrieval of all AFA
                                extended configuration information by
!                               automated retrieval tools. (See Note <1>)

!       Keywords:               Appropriate keywords describing contents of this
!                               logical AFA.

        Notes for this record.

***************
*** 1277,1287 ****
        An example of a LARCHIVE record:

        Template-Type:        LARCHIVE
        Owner-Organization:   Orymonix Incorporated
        Organization-Type:    Commercial
!       Preferred-Name:       oxymoron-x.com.uk
        Access-Policy:        This archive is open to general access
                              Intelligence, Postal Service and
                              Progressive Conservatism. All material
                              contained in this archive is in the
--- 1274,1284 ----
        An example of a LARCHIVE record:

        Template-Type:        LARCHIVE
        Owner-Organization:   Orymonix Incorporated
        Organization-Type:    Commercial
!       Host-Alias:           oxymoron-x.co.uk
        Access-Policy:        This archive is open to general access
                              Intelligence, Postal Service and
                              Progressive Conservatism. All material
                              contained in this archive is in the
***************
*** 1291,1301 ****
        Admin-Work-Phone:     +44 71 123 4567
        Admin-Work-Fax:       +44 71 123 5678
        Admin-Postal:         555 Marsden Road, London, SE15 4EE
        Record-Last-Modified: Yuri Tolstoy <yt@snafu.com.uk>
        Record-Last-Modified-Date:        Mon, Jun 21 93 17:03:23 EDT
!       Update-Frequency:    20

        3.7.3 AUTOMATIC FILE UPDATE INFORMATION

--- 1288,1298 ----
        Admin-Work-Phone:     +44 71 123 4567
        Admin-Work-Fax:       +44 71 123 5678
        Admin-Postal:         555 Marsden Road, London, SE15 4EE
        Record-Last-Modified: Yuri Tolstoy <yt@snafu.com.uk>
        Record-Last-Modified-Date:        Mon, Jun 21 93 17:03:23 EDT
!       Update-Frequency:     20

        3.7.3 AUTOMATIC FILE UPDATE INFORMATION

***************
*** 1303,1371 ****

        Any number of these files may exist in the archive.

!       Template-Type:                    MIRROR

        Admin-(USER*):                  Contact information of the individual or
                                        group responsible for administering
!                                       this mirror

        Admin-(ORGANIZATION*):          Information on organization responsible
!                                       for this mirror unit

!       Title:                          The title of the package

        Record-Last-Modified-(USER*):   Contact information for individual
!                                       who last modified this record

!       Record-Last-Modified-Date:      The date this record was last modified

        Record-Last-Verified-(USER*):   Contact information for individual
                                        or group last verifying this record
!                                       was accurate

!       Record-Last-Verified-Date:      The date this record was last verified

        Reference-Location-v*:          The starting point. This is the initial
                                        site the package can be found of.
                                        As there may be more than one file
                                        or directory belonging to this
                                        package this is a -v* type. Specified
!                                       as an URL.  <1>

        Source-Location-v*:             The location the package is mirrored
!                                       from.  This may itself be a mirror
                                        site of Reference-Location or
!                                       another Source-Location.  Specified
                                        as an URL.

        Destination-Location-v*:        The location the package can be found
!                                       locally.  Specified as an URL.

!       Timezone:                       The timezone this site is in. (see section
!                                       3.3 of this document)

!       Update-Frequency:               The Source-Site is checked each this number
!                                       of days or on these days.    <2>

!       Update-Time:                    The time of the day the update is started.
                                        This is important for chained
!                                       updates, i.e.  sites using this
                                        site as Source-Location.

        Update-Policy:                  This is how the update is done. There are
!                                       a few valid keywords. See <3> for mores
!                                       information.

        Update-Filename-Translation:    Substitute expression. This may used to
                                        reorganize e.g. a flat directory on
!                                       Source-Location into various subdirectories
!                                       on Destination-Location.

        Update-Transfer-Pattern:        A regular expression. Only files
                                        matching this pattern on Source-Location
                                        will be updated/fetched.

--- 1300,1369 ----

        Any number of these files may exist in the archive.

!       Template-Type:                  MIRROR

[...]

!                                       as an URL. (See note <1>)

        Source-Location-v*:             The location the package is mirrored
!                                       from. This may itself be a mirror
                                        site of Reference-Location or
!                                       another Source-Location. Specified
                                        as an URL.

        Destination-Location-v*:        The location the package can be found
!                                       locally. Specified as an URL.

!       Timezone:                       The timezone this site is in. (see
!                                       section 3.3 of this document)

!       Update-Frequency:               The Source-Site is checked each this
!                                       number of days or on these days.
!                                       (See Note <2>)

!       Update-Time:                    The time of day the update is started.
                                        This is important for chained
!                                       updates, i.e. sites using this
                                        site as Source-Location.

        Update-Policy:                  This is how the update is done. There are
!                                       a few valid keywords. See Note <3> for
!                                       more information.

        Update-Filename-Translation:    Substitute expression. This may used to
                                        reorganize e.g. a flat directory on
!                                       Source-Location into various
!                                       subdirectories on Destination-Location.

        Update-Transfer-Pattern:        A regular expression. Only files
                                        matching this pattern on Source-Location
                                        will be updated/fetched.

***************
*** 1372,1383 ****
        Update-Exclude-Pattern:         A regular expression. Files matching this
                                        pattern on Source-Location will not
                                        be updated/fetched.

        Update-Compression-Pattern:     A regular expression. Used for packing
!                                       or re-packing files being updated/fetched.
!                                       <4>

        Update-Software:                Name and version of the software used
                                        for the automatic updates.

--- 1370,1381 ----
        Update-Exclude-Pattern:         A regular expression. Files matching this
                                        pattern on Source-Location will not
                                        be updated/fetched.

        Update-Compression-Pattern:     A regular expression. Used for packing
!                                       or re-packing files being updated/
!                                       fetched.  (see Note <4>)

        Update-Software:                Name and version of the software used
                                        for the automatic updates.

***************
*** 1388,1414 ****

        <2> This may be any number or one or more of the (comma seperated) words
            "Mon", "Tue", Wed", "Thu", "Fri", "Sat" or "Sun"

        <3> Valid keywords are:
!             autodelete  - files be automatically deleted, when they are
!                                 no longer found on Source-Location
!             sizechange  - file will also be updated if only the size
!                                 but not the time changed on the Source-Location.
!             newer               - file will be updated if the file on
                                  Source-Location is newer than the one on
!                                 Destination-Location
!             maxdays=num - file will not be fetched/updated if its modification
!                                 time has a difference bigger than <num> days to the
!                                 file on Destination-Location.
!             recursive           - directories will be mirrored recursively (otherwise
                                  only the contents of the "flat" directory will
!                                 be updated and no subdirectories will be checked).

        <4> This specifies whether e.g. *.tar files will be packed (and therefor
!           renamed) to *.tar.Z or *.tar.gz, or whether e.g. *.Z files will be packed
!           and renamed to *.gz

        Example:
        --------

        This is an example of a AFA-MIRROR file.
--- 1386,1414 ----

        <2> This may be any number or one or more of the (comma seperated) words
            "Mon", "Tue", Wed", "Thu", "Fri", "Sat" or "Sun"

        <3> Valid keywords are:
!             autodelete  - files will be automatically deleted, when they are
!                                 no longer found on Source-Location.
!             sizechange  - files will also be updated if only the size
!                                 but not the time changed on the
!                                 Source-Location.
!             newer       - files will be updated if the file on
                                  Source-Location is newer than the one on
!                                 Destination-Location.
!             maxdays=num - files will not be fetched/updated if its modification
!                                 time has a difference bigger than <num> days
!                                 to the file on Destination-Location.
!             recursive   - directories will be mirrored recursively (otherwise
                                  only the contents of the "flat" directory will
!                                 be updated and no subdirectories will be
!                                 checked).

        <4> This specifies whether e.g. *.tar files will be packed (and therefor
!           renamed) to *.tar.Z or *.tar.gz, or whether e.g. *.Z files will be
!           packed and renamed to *.gz

        Example:
        --------

        This is an example of a AFA-MIRROR file.
***************
*** 1417,1440 ****
        Admin-Name:                       John Long Silver
        Admin-Email:                      silver@jamaica.world
        Admin-Home-Phone:         +1 222 333 4567
        Admin-Organization-Name:  The Pirates Club
        Title:                            The ultimate treasury package
!               richer and richer. It shows how to collect money and hide it from
!               anyone within your computer. You can use a program from this package
!               to materialize the money again, later.
        Record-Last-Modified-Name:        Sailor One
!       Record-Last-Modified-Date:        Sat Jan 15 02:47:57 MEZ 1994
        Record-Last-Verified-Name:        Sailer Two
!       Record-Last-Verified-Date:        Sat Jan 15 02:48:31 MEZ 1854
        Reference-Location-v0:            URL:ftp://ftp.money.us/pub/coins/silver/
        Reference-Location-v1:            URL:ftp://ftp.money.us/pub/coins/gold/
        Source-Location-v0:               URL:ftp://ftp.cash.mx/pub/money/coins/silver/
        Source-Location-v1:               URL:ftp://ftp.cash.mx/pub/money/coins/gold/
!       Destination-Location-v0:  URL:ftp://ftp.jamaica/pub/coins/
!       Destination-Location-v1:  URL:ftp://ftp.jamaica/pub/coins/
        Timezone:                 -0700
        Update-Frequency:         Mon, Wed, Fri
        Update-Time:                      02:00
        Update-Policy:                    sizechange, maxdays=14, recursive
        Update-Filename-Translation:      s:(.*)(gold/|silver/)(.*):$1$2:;
--- 1417,1440 ----
        Admin-Name:                       John Long Silver
        Admin-Email:                      silver@jamaica.world
        Admin-Home-Phone:         +1 222 333 4567
        Admin-Organization-Name:  The Pirates Club
        Title:                            The ultimate treasury package
!               and richer and richer. It shows how to collect money and hide it
!               from anyone within your computer. You can use a program from this
!               package to materialize the money again, later.
        Record-Last-Modified-Name:        Sailor One
!       Record-Last-Modified-Date:        Sat, 15 Jan 1994 02:47:57 GMT
        Record-Last-Verified-Name:        Sailer Two
!       Record-Last-Verified-Date:        Sat, 15 Jan 1994 02:47:57 GMT
        Reference-Location-v0:            URL:ftp://ftp.money.us/pub/coins/silver/
        Reference-Location-v1:            URL:ftp://ftp.money.us/pub/coins/gold/
        Source-Location-v0:               URL:ftp://ftp.cash.mx/pub/money/coins/silver/
        Source-Location-v1:               URL:ftp://ftp.cash.mx/pub/money/coins/gold/
!       Destination-Location-v0:          URL:ftp://ftp.jamaica/pub/coins/
!       Destination-Location-v1:          URL:ftp://ftp.jamaica/pub/coins/
        Timezone:                 -0700
        Update-Frequency:         Mon, Wed, Fri
        Update-Time:                      02:00
        Update-Policy:                    sizechange, maxdays=14, recursive
        Update-Filename-Translation:      s:(.*)(gold/|silver/)(.*):$1$2:;
***************
*** 1468,1478 ****

        3.8.2 ORGANIZATION INFORMATION

        In a similar manner to the USER template, the ORGANIZATION template
        provides common information which may be used in other (larger)
!       templates to yielding a central source of information.

        Filename for this index file (naming scheme 1): AFA-ORGANIZATION.

        The Template-Type is ORGANIZATION (naming scheme 2).

--- 1468,1478 ----

        3.8.2 ORGANIZATION INFORMATION

        In a similar manner to the USER template, the ORGANIZATION template
        provides common information which may be used in other (larger)
!       templates to yield a central source of information.

        Filename for this index file (naming scheme 1): AFA-ORGANIZATION.

        The Template-Type is ORGANIZATION (naming scheme 2).

***************
*** 1482,1561 ****

        This file contains records with the following fields. In the first
        naming scheme each record is started and delimited by the
        "Template-Type" field.

!       Filename for this index file (Naming scheme 1): AFA-SERVICES

        Any number of these files may exist in the archive.

!         Template-Type:          SERVICES

!         Name:           Name of service

!         Host-Name:      Host name of host providing service

!         Host-Port:      Port number of service

!         Protocol:       Method required to access service (See
                          Note <1>)

!         Admin-(USER*):
!                         Contact information of person or group
                          responsible for service administration
!                         (administrative contact)

          Admin-(ORGANIZATION*):
                          Information on organization responsible
!                         for this service

          Sponsoring-(ORGANIZATION*):
                          Contact information for the
                          organization sponsoring this site.

          Authentication: Authentication information. Free text
                          field supplying login and password
                          information (if necessary) or other
!                         method for authentication

          Registration:   How to register for this service if
!                         general access is not available

          Charging-Policy:
                          Free text field describing any changing
                          mechanism in place. Additionally, fee structure
                          may be included in this field.

          Access-Policy:  Policies and restrictions for using this
!                         service

          Access-Times:   Time ranges for mandatory or preferred access of
                          service.

!                         service

          Record-Last-Modified-(USER*):
                          Contact information of person or group
!                         last modifying this record

          Record-Last-Modified-Date:
                          The date the last time this record was
!                         modified

          Record-Last-Verified-(USER*):
                          Contact information of person or group
                          last verifying that this record was
!                         accurate

          Record-Last-Verified-Date:
                          The date the last time this record was
!                         verified

        Notes on this file.

--- 1482,1560 ----

        This file contains records with the following fields. In the first
        naming scheme each record is started and delimited by the
        "Template-Type" field.

!       Filename for this index file (Naming scheme 1): AFA-SERVICE

        Any number of these files may exist in the archive.

!         Template-Type:  SERVICE

!         Name:           Name of service.

!         Host-Name:      Host name of host providing service.

!         Host-Port:      Port number of service.

!         Protocol:       Method required to access service. (See
                          Note <1>)

!         Admin-(USER*):  Contact information of person or group
                          responsible for service administration
!                         (administrative contact).

          Admin-(ORGANIZATION*):
                          Information on organization responsible
!                         for this service.

          Sponsoring-(ORGANIZATION*):
                          Contact information for the
                          organization sponsoring this site.

          Authentication: Authentication information. Free text
                          field supplying login and password
                          information (if necessary) or other
!                         method for authentication.

          Registration:   How to register for this service if
!                         general access is not available.

          Charging-Policy:
                          Free text field describing any changing
                          mechanism in place. Additionally, fee structure
                          may be included in this field.

          Access-Policy:  Policies and restrictions for using this
!                         service.

          Access-Times:   Time ranges for mandatory or preferred access of
                          service.

!                         service.

          Record-Last-Modified-(USER*):
                          Contact information of person or group
!                         last modifying this record.

          Record-Last-Modified-Date:
                          The date the last time this record was
!                         modified.

          Record-Last-Verified-(USER*):
                          Contact information of person or group
                          last verifying that this record was
!                         accurate.

          Record-Last-Verified-Date:
                          The date the last time this record was
!                         verified.

        Notes on this file.

***************
*** 1609,1619 ****
        Admin-Email:   fishlovers-request@foo.com
        Protocol:      Email to fishlovers@foo.com
        Registration:  Send mail to the administrative address with your
                       own email address requesting addition
-       Address:       iafa@cc.mcgill.ca
        Access-Policy: Any Internet user may subscribe to this mailing list

        3.8.4 DOCUMENTS, DATASETS, MAILING LIST ARCHIVES, USENET ARCHIVES,
--- 1608,1617 ----
***************
*** 1646,1656 ****

          Template-Type:          See above list

          Category:               Type of object. See Note <1>

!         Title:                  Title of the object

          Author-(USER*):   Description/contact information about the
                                  authors/creators of the object. These
                                  fields may be repeated as often as is
                                  necessary.
--- 1644,1654 ----

*** 1660,1765 ****
                                  These fields may be repeated as often as
                                  is necessary.

          Record-Last-Modified-(USER*):
                                  Contact information about person last
!                                 modifying this record

          Record-Last-Modified-Date:
                                  The date the last time this record was
!                                 modified

          Record-Last-Verified-(USER*):
                                  Contact information of person or group
                                  last verifying that this record was
!                                 accurate

          Record-Last-Verified-Date:
                                  The date the last time this record was
!                                 verified

!         Version:                A version designator for the object

          Source:                 Information as to the source of the
                                  object.

          Requirements:           Any requirements for the use of the
                                  object. A free text description of any
                                  hardware/software requirements necessary
!                                 to use the object

                                  case of documents) of the object.

!         Bibliography:           A bibliographic entry for the object

          Citation:               The citation for the object when used
!                                 in other works

          Publication-Status:     Current publication status of object
                                  (draft, published etc).

          Publisher-(ORGANIZATION*):
                                  Description/contact information about
!                                 object publisher

          Copyright:              The copyright statement. Any additional
                                  information on the copying policy may be
!                                 included

!         Creation-Date:          The creation date for the object

          Discussion:             Free text description of possible
                                  discussion forums (USENET groups, mailing
!                                 lists) appropriate for this object

!         Keywords:               Appropriate keywords for this object

          Format-v*:              Formats in which the object is
!                                 available (See Note <2>).

          Size-v*:                Length of object in bytes (octets).

          Language-v*:            The name of the language in which the
                                  object is written. For documents this
                                  would be the natural language. For
                                  software this would be the programming
!                                 language

          Character-Set-v*:       The character set of the object. This
                                  should be a well-known value for example
                                  "ASCII" or "ISO Latin-1".

          ISBN-v*:                The International Standard Book Number of
!                                 the object

          ISSN-v*:                The International Standard Serial Number
!                                 of the object

          Access-Protocol-v*:     Method of access to this object (eg,
                                  anonymous FTP, Gopher etc.) as well as
                                  the host on which it resides. Also any
                                  additional information needed to access
                                  the object.

!         Access-Host-Name-v*:    Host on which to access the object

          Access-Host-Port-v*:    Port on which to access the object. This
                                  may be implied by the Access-Protocol and
!                                 so not be necessary

          Pathname-v*:            The full pathname of this object. This is
                                  operating system specific. This is not
!                                 required if naming scheme 2 is used

!         Last-Revision-Date-v*:  Last date that the object was revised

!         Library-Catalog-v*:     Library cataloging information (See
!                                 Note <3>).

        Notes for this template.

        <1> The intention of this field is to define the category of the
--- 1658,1763 ----
[...]

*** 1790,1803 ****
                                  ftp.fungus.newu.edu via anonymous FTP.
                                  The are stored in the directory
                                  pub/yeast/chromosome1
        Author-Name:              John Doe
        Author-Email:             jdoe@yeast.foobar.com
!       Author-Home-Phone:        +1 898 555 1212;
        Author-Name:              Jane Buck
        Author-Email:             jane@fungus.newu.edu
!       Last-Revision-Date:       27 November 1991
        Category:                 Conference paper. Yeastcon, January 1992,
                                  Mushroom Rock, CA, USA
        Abstract:                 Homeoboxes have been shown to have a
                                  significant impact on the expressions of
                                  genes in Chromosome 1 of Bakers' Yeast.
--- 1788,1801 ----
                                  ftp.fungus.newu.edu via anonymous FTP.
                                  The are stored in the directory
                                  pub/yeast/chromosome1
        Author-Name:              John Doe
        Author-Email:             jdoe@yeast.foobar.com
!       Author-Home-Phone:        +1 898 555 1212
        Author-Name:              Jane Buck
        Author-Email:             jane@fungus.newu.edu
!       Last-Revision-Date:       27 Nov 1991
        Category:                 Conference paper. Yeastcon, January 1992,
                                  Mushroom Rock, CA, USA
        Abstract:                 Homeoboxes have been shown to have a
                                  significant impact on the expressions of
                                  genes in Chromosome 1 of Bakers' Yeast.
***************
*** 1882,1902 ****

  [3] Internet Draft "draft-ietf-uri-resource-names-00.txt" Work in
      Progress from the Uniform Resource Identifier Working Group of the
      IETF.

! [4] RFC 954 Harrenstien, K.; Stahl, M.K.; Feinler, E.J.  NICNAME/WHOIS.
      1985 October

! [5] RFC 1034 Mockapetris, P.V.  Domain names - concepts and facilities.
      1987 November

! [6] RFC 1036 Horton, M.R.; Adams, R.  Standard for interchange of USENET
      messages. 1987 December

! [7] RFC 1123 Braden, R.T.,ed.  Requirements for Internet hosts -
!     application and support.  1989 October

  [8] Internet Draft "Data Element Templates for Internet Information
      Objects". Work in progress from the Internet Anonymous FTP Archive
      Working Group of the IETF.

--- 1880,1900 ----