Re: filenaming proposal for IAFA description files

Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi> Wed, 21 October 1992 11:10 UTC

Subject: Re: filenaming proposal for IAFA description files
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.NRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>
To: Aydin Edguer <edguer@alpha.ces.cwru.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1992 08:03:08 +0200
Cc: iafa@cc.mcgill.ca

> > Now, this filename will obviously have to be different for ...
>
> Well, after reading over the new iafa-doc2, I have yet another suggestion
> to make.  Rather than limiting the names of the IAFA- files to a particular
> name/extension/case, I suggest you have a single file that meets all the
> restrictions of known operating system names.  This single file will give
> the mapping from IAFA- document name to system dependent name.  Software
> that is doing mirroring could then grab the one known name file, parse
> its contents and use that to obtain the other IAFA- documents.  This may
> [I hope] help in the automation of IAFA- data.
>
> Implementable?

  From practicality viewpoint:  Yes, very much so!
That first file should be named something which is implementable at
all systems (6+3 ? 8+3 ?) and then all the rest is just a question of
simple mapping.  However those maps should contain BOTH directory info
and real filenames - for beasts like IBM CMS with a bit odd "directory"
structure...

Model:
	IAFA-foobar: "string for CWD argument" "target.file"
(And as it is all text anyway - ASCII or EBCDIC - that need not be defined ?)