Re: new iafa draft

Thomas Krichel <T.Krichel@surrey.ac.uk> Tue, 09 January 1996 00:54 UTC

Subject: Re: new iafa draft
To: Jon Knight <J.P.Knight@lut.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 1996 00:51:30 +0000
Cc: iafa@bunyip.com, whoispp-shema@bunyip.com
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Thomas Krichel <T.Krichel@surrey.ac.uk>

  On iafa@bunyip, Jon writes about his reissue of the IAFA draft:

> Keep all the comments coming in folks...

  I am writing only now since I was away over Xmas. I had a look
  at the draft tonight. There does not appear to be much change
  to the previous version. In particular, I can not find any
  passage that addresses the critical thoughts that I communicated
  to this list under a threat "IAFA templates: a user's comment" that
  run here on 21 March 1995. In particular, I claimed that the
  templates are based on the assumption that each version is contained
  in one file, which is wrong in many practical instances when
  encoding documents. I requested a "part" syntax. Jon then suggested
  to use the order of templates to emulate a "part" syntax. However
  the current draft still says that that the field order does not matter.
  Until this issue is cleared up I can see little future for the
  use of the templates.

  In the meantime, paf wrote, in a private message:

> Now to another thing which we have deleted from the IAFA
> paper, and that is the '-v0' etc endings of the attribute
> names. Instead we are using ordering among the attributes.

  Since I collect the templates to use the whois++ protocol
  to transport my database, I am more interested in being whois++
  compliant, since that is what the software requires. However
  I have not a set of rules about how to write template-files.
  If I had those I could have a stab at my own draft "on encoding
  documents \`a la whois++". The practical experience we have
  already gained with the WoPEc project (http://netec.wustl.edu/WoPEc.html)
  should help. However I need at least one coworker. Any takers?

  P.S. I am copying this message to whoispp-shema@bunyip.com,
  if that is not an appropriate list please feel free to tell me
  off :-)

  Happy New Year!

  Thomas Krichel                               mailto:T.Krichel@surrey.ac.uk
                                  http://www.surrey.ac.uk/Economics/tkrichel