agenda for NISI meeting

psmith@merit.edu Sat, 07 November 1992 21:25 UTC

Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1992 15:21:32 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: psmith@merit.edu
To: disi@merit.edu, iafa@cc.mcgill.ca
Subject: agenda for NISI meeting
Cc: psmith@merit.edu

Pardon the inevitable duplication. Since Alan just cross-posted
the IAFA agenda I thought I'd clutter up your mailboxes too. (8-]

 - Pat

Network Information Services Infrastructure
Planning/Agenda for upcoming meeting in Washington,
D.C.

My personal goal for the upcoming IETF/NISI meeting
is just to get something done which means we need
volunteers and people responding to the mailing
list. Please take time to read on:

The NISI participants need to decide at the
upcoming meeting what our short-term goals are
going to be. Two items at the top of the heap are:

1. E-Mail Interface for NIC Profiles

The mail server to this now exists and can be
accessed by sending mail to "x500test@merit.edu".
Put "help" in the Subject: line and you'll get
information back.

If this is going to be a viable collection someone
must put time/energy into soliciting participation
from nics around the world. Are we going commit the
energy and people resources to do it? If so, we
need volunteers and a timetable.

2. Net Help

At the last meeting we got this down to a prototype
screen:

---------------------
  NETHELP answers questions about ``the network''.

  You are on X-Net.  X-Net is part of the worldwide Internet,
  thus providing you with access to a myriad of resources.

  Your local contact for help is:

  For system help:                  For network information:

   Name:                              Name:
   Phone Number:                      Phone Number:
   E-mail:                            E-mail:

whether it should have a section discussing implementation
strategies (and to get a volunteer to write it :-).

   o Review the goals and milestones and revise if necessary.

   o Start discussing the next phase of nethelp and what that
more extensive utility will feature.

--------------------------------------
Well, so, ok .... nothing has happened. I think
there's no doubt that everyone is very busy with
our *real* jobs (as in "paycheck") and it is
difficult to squeeze in extra stuff like IETF.
Myself included.

I propose we pick up where we left off at the last
meeting and get firm plans/people/deadlines in
place to handle the immediate issues mentioned
above. Once that is done we can move to the future,
including the next phase of nethelp which (if I
know this group) will involve a fun-filled, lively,
no-holds-barred discussion.

I will be at SIGUCCS next week but in touch via e-
mail. I hope there will be some response from the
hinterlands (no, that's wrong ... *I* will be in
the hinterlands (Cleveland)). Anyway, PLEASE
RESPOND to nisi@merit.edu and voice your opinion. I
*know* you all have opinions!

Thanking you in advance for your participation ...

 - Pat