Re: proposal for subjects in subject tree

Anders Gillner <awg@sunet.se> Fri, 27 November 1992 15:13 UTC

To: Ton Verschuren <Ton.Verschuren@surfnet.nl>
Cc: eurogopher@ebone.net, gvl@unt.edu, iafa@cc.mcgill.ca, jkrey@isi.edu
Subject: Re: proposal for subjects in subject tree
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1992 14:15:28 +0100
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Anders Gillner <awg@sunet.se>

Ton,

I am including the proposed subject tree as I send this letter as a copy
to a couple of people and lists.

Explanation for the additional"cc:" people:
The idea is to find a couple of subjects, corresponding
to one library standard or another, find subject maintainers
for these, and then link their subject menus to one or more
gopher servers in order to get an easy_to_find_access_point for users
A SEPA, by the way, is a subject maintainer:

Unesco Subject List(as proposed as a model for subject tree in gopher):

1  General
2  Philosophy, psychology
3  Religion, theology
4  Sociology, statistics
5  Political science and economy
6  Law, government administration
7  Military science
8  Instruction and education
9  Trade
10 Ethnology and folklore
11 Linguistics
12 Pure science and history of science
13 Mathematics
14 Astronomy and physics
15 Chemistry
16 Geology, meteorology
17 Biology
18 Medical science
19 Technology, industry, crafts
20 Agriculture, fishery
21 Domestic science
22 Science of industrial organization
23 Urbanization, architecture, arts, photography, film, radio, tv
24 Recreation, sports, games
25 History of literature and criticism
26 Poetry
27 Theatre
28 Prose
29 Various, essays
30 Geography, travel description
31 History, (auto)biography
32 Children's books, cartoons
33 Educational appliances

>Where shall we put computers & networking ???

19 Technology, industry, crafts, I guess. I am more
concerned about finding a subject maintainer for 1 General.:-)

No, really we have to add computer science probably, as
a high percentage of the info out there is associated
with that. Another way to go should be to give it a sub-tre
number (if there isn`t one already) for ex:

19 Technol.../19.2 Computer Science

The proposed tree is obviously a librarians
view of the world having a lot of subjects in it which
are directly connected to litterature:

25 History of literature and criticism
26 Poetry
27 Theatre
28 Prose
29 Various, essays
32 Children's books, cartoons

As we are working in a context that is not a library, I am
not really sure whether these should be top level items or not. The
information that we have on the net today is distributed over
subjects in a way that differs quiet a lot from the distribution
that we have in a library, but the library situation probably
reflects the situation on the total information market in a better
way although some of the clusters are a little hard to understand:

4  Sociology, statistics
12 Pure science and history of science
16 Geology, meteorology
19 Technology, industry, crafts
20 Agriculture, fishery
23 Urbanization, architecture, arts, photography, film, radio, tv
32 Children's books, cartoons

Some of these subjects are not our immediate concern, and in some
of the cases we have to start with sub-SEPA:s.Below you find the sublist
that I think that we might be able to get SEPA:s for at the moment.
I don`t say that I have them, I say that I`ll TRY to get
them if we are able to reach a consensus about this list.
(Which I think that we might get problems with.) I`m
not to happy with the list, but I guess that is what we have to
live with, and I rather feel a little uncomfortable working with
a list that everybody have decided to use that seeing everybody
doing their own implementation.

Would be nice to have a broad discussion about this.

regards/awg

2  Philosophy, psychology