[Ianaplan] In memoriam

Jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com> Tue, 04 October 2016 20:42 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 22:42:40 +0200
To: ianaplan@ietf.org,liaison@iana.nz
From: Jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Cc: comptoir <comptoir@cafedu.com>
Subject: [Ianaplan] In memoriam

With regret, I have sad news.

In seeking for his expertise in order to join the
<mailto:liaison@iana.nz>liaison@iana.nz expertise circle and best
answer Andrew, I learned from his spouse that Robert Tréhin has
passed away just a few months ago.

A very well-known figure in the French/European networking industry,
I had known him since Tymnet Europe and International of which is the
manager in charge of the European and Western Catenet, then founder
of TNSC that sold/installed the Tymnet ACT technology in more than 40
countries, VP of TNS Inc. (POS and transaction oriented network) for
nearly two decades, and eventually being technically instrumental in
the establishment of the European SEPA Mail funds transfer system
gathering 90% of the French and European banks.

He tied Tymnet and then Telenet services to France, Belgium, Italy,
Germany, UK, and Switzerland (off the top of my head) before 1978
through the IRCs (international record carriers ITT, RCA, WUI). He
then hired me in early 1978 to deploy the international packet switch
network 100% under Tymnet multiprotocols systems. As Telenet was
domestically connected in 1984, we then provided Internet
international access to TCP/IP hosts. He sold the Swedish national
network system to Televerket and was a promoter in the European
deployment of several large private networks. He was a key leader of
the European banking industry ATMs networking.

He was an extremely professionnal, efficient, and kind good fellow
with whom we created the ISIS Club (ISIS was the Tymnet technology
OS) grandfathering the ICANN concept and multistakeholderism, while
our INTLNET non-profit secretariat maintained the INTLFILE that in
turn grandfathered the root file and the concept of open distributed
IANA that we are now to resume after NTIA transition and along the
RFC 6852 paradigm.

JFC Morfin
Excutive Director, INTLNET
http://intlnet.org