Re: [Ianaplan] control and negotiation (was Re: draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-02 working group last call)

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> Tue, 04 November 2014 16:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 11:27:33 -0500
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] control and negotiation (was Re: draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-02 working group last call)

Better deal with confrontation now, when NTIA is still in the picture,
and when there really isn't any time pressure to deal with (if things
drag out, or if NTIA isn't satisfied, they'll just extend the contract).

The whole point of clearly defined contract documents is to avoid
conflict at times when time IS a problem - such as in the eventuality
that IETF, or one of the other players, decides that they have to cancel
(or threaten to cancel) their contracts with ICANN.

Better conflict now, during negotiations over the transition, than later
- when unclear language can really cause negative impact on Internet
operations.

Miles Fidelman