Re: [Ianaplan] CWG proposal up for public comment

Jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com> Fri, 24 April 2015 15:48 UTC

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 17:48:10 +0200
To: Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji@gmail.com>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>, ianaplan@ietf.org
From: Jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] CWG proposal up for public comment

At 16:08 24/04/2015, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>I'm not sure what you mean, but if you mean other registries for
>protocol parameters I'd expect that to be out of scope for the names
>community.
>
>What other IANA operators are there for the names community?

My point is addressed in the questions of my appeal the IESG has not
considered necessary to address. What I consider as increasingly
disturbing and whish to see approched in the best manner  (I try to
adopt a median position acceptable to most) in my IAB appeal.

Let say that, independently from the political bargains that commands
the transition plan, I wish to keep as stable internet for every of
us, however it is likely it will not be the same one (because - cf.
RFC 6852 - it will include at least two "global community" coalitions
: those who consider they are bound by NTIA and FCC
positions/decisions and those who dont).

Each of these coalitions will necessary have a few (hopefully)
different visions. This will translate into the need for them to have
their own version of the IANA. One should be managed as an ICANN
affiliate and the other is still open. IMHO two other ones would make
sense: one by ITU and one by the Libre. (I purposely use the term
Libre, and "Relationnels Libres" in French to make clear it is not
the open source, but an open network approach which corresponds to
the  Vint Cerf IEN 48 objective second montivation. This
ICANN(PTI)/ITU/Libre IANA Operators would represent the states (ITU),
business (ICANN) and civil society (Libre) approches and permit some
of the multistakeholderism both NTIA and ITU desire. I suppose that
the Libre community is young enough for accepting that its desired
omnistakeholderism can be delayed, as long as this is the way it will
internally proceed.

This scheme, as eventually devised by Vint in July 1978, is the one I
engaged into in 1977 with Tymnet and some European PTT and the French
government plan (Transpac and Minitel) prevented us to merge with
Louis Pouzin's Cyclade. So, my interest is in making sure that -
whatever the States (US, Europe, BRICS) may do, negociate, fight,
etc. the civil society may keep a stable service eith from PTI and/or
from Libre, as I tested it through the Dot-Root community project
(along ICANN still valide ICP/3 testing terms) 13 years ago.

The scheme I campaign for - and this is why I stayed with the IETF
for all these years, as well as opposing some of the Unicode
consortium influence, (while most of the Libre and State oriented
people did not) - is one I think acceptable on both sides and
possibly also on the third one (if ITU is to enter the game). It
could even accomodate more new commers (probably a small galaxy of
them if people feel it is not correctly planned). It is the
experimentation scheme, along ICANN experimentation rules.
Permissionless innovation/projects as long as they keep being
experimental first.

In here, and in my appeal, I made clear that I will experiment the
DNS CLASS "FL" (for Free/Libre) along with the principles documented
by the DNSA. So far, this makes little difference with the IANA PTI
Version, but it will help keeping peacefull the varions CLASS "IN"
backup solutions and the support of the various "MYCANN"
configurations or plug-ins. IMHO, if they do not foresee some
fighting, many would be candidate will drop interest.

Obviously the most significant jurisdictionnal disagreements or
extensions will probably happen in the naming area. This is why I
think the ICANN "name community" is the predominant contributor, also
because ICANN is perceived as the name-space commercial hijacker by
many States and Civil/Local society members. And eventually because
it is the sole interlocutor the NTIA considers in its announcement.
The NTIA only considers the DNS. ICANN considers the IANA.

It will also be a way to test ICANN. If it will considers its peers
as equals; and if it wants or do not want to respect a
multistakeholder approach for itself, or it considers that the TLDs
and RIRs are the stakeholders, and it is itself the Queen of Borgs.

All this is in five months now.
jfc