Re: [Ianaplan] CWG draft and its impact on the IETF

JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com> Tue, 12 May 2015 23:28 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 01:28:19 +0200
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, Milton L Mueller <mueller@syr.edu>, Roger Jørgensen <rogerj@gmail.com>, ianaplan@ietf.org
From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] CWG draft and its impact on the IETF

Dear John,

may be will you remember Paul Towmey at ICANN Luxembourg, annoucing in
front of Vint Cerf the creation of a DNSSEC dedicated affiliate of
ICANN. I would not be surprised if PTI was to be an ICANN replacement
in an NTIA replacement by ICANN scenario. This would make a lot of
sense in a decentralised intergovernance with ICANN at the core,
oversighting the "Internet". With equivalent relational links/beams
with PTI, NRO, IETF, W3C and further-on Versign, Rosettanet, etc.

ICANN's best interest is that the largest numbers of bilateral
relations are signed among the members (including SOs, GAC, etc.) of
its RFC 6852 global community (its periphery). The tasks defined in
these agreement will progressively stabilize as "edge functors" rather
than entities. So, if one entity is denied, it can be replaced by a
newcomer with the same/equivalent duties and procedures, without
affecting the stability of the whole organization network.

IMHO they follow a Tapscott, St-Amour & Caswell NTIA ordered GSN plan
(cf. http://gsnetworks.org/blog/governing-the-internet-a-new-era-begins/).
An NSA-compatible (for protection) networked enhanced cooperation
system for the Internet, with a multistakeholderist governance (that
will best disseminate the I*Core positions). In such schemes the
networked governance is perceived as the source of stability and
dynamism. The more connected people, the more bainstorming, the more
consensuses.

This seems a resillient approach. Is it able to nurture and welcome
innovation, I do not know (I never saw spontaneous generation).
However it seems realistic enough. Except the BUG - being unilaterally
global: the ICANN scheme has not foreseen hooks for complementary,
alternative, compettive approaches, technologis, and/or catenet uses.
This is what is to be tested.

jfc