Re: [Ianaplan] WSJ says USDOC renews ICANN contract through Sept 2016

John Curran <jcurran@istaff.org> Tue, 18 August 2015 10:13 UTC

From: John Curran <jcurran@istaff.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 06:13:32 -0400
To: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
Cc: ianaplan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] WSJ says USDOC renews ICANN contract through Sept 2016

On Aug 17, 2015, at 8:35 PM, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote:

> The Wall Street Journal reports that the US government has renewed the existing
> ICANN contract for a full year, through September 2016, with the option of three
> years after that.

Quite expected - Back in June, Larry Strickland asked us all how much additional time was
needed -

"As the plans take final shape, I hope the community starts to focus on the matter of implementation of its recommendations. Have the issues of implementation been identified and addressed in the proposal so that the community and ICANN can implement the plan as expeditiously as possible once we have reviewed and accepted it? This is an important issue right now because after the Buenos Aires meeting, NTIA will need to make a determination on extending its current contract with ICANN, which expires on September 30, 2015. Last month, I asked both the ICG and the Working Group on Accountability for an update on the transition planning, as well as their views on how long it will take to finalize and implement the transition plan if it were approved. Keeping in mind that the community and ICANN will need to implement all work items identified by the ICG and the Working Group on Accountability as prerequisites for the transition before the contract can end, the community’s input on timing is critical and will strongly influence how NTIA proceeds with the contract extension. I look forward to hearing from everyone in Buenos Aires."

<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/stakeholder-proposals-come-together-icann-meeting-argentina <http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/stakeholder-proposals-come-together-icann-meeting-argentina>>

> So I suppose we're not in such a big hurry.

Possibly, but given that the original planning timeline had the communities being
done by January 15th 2015, and collectively that deadline was missed by more
than six months, a one year extension isn’t adding all that much slack to the
schedule.

FYI - Asst. Secretary Strickland’s blog from yesterday regarding the NTIA IANA
contract extension -  http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/update-iana-transition <http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/update-iana-transition>

/John