Re: [Ianaplan] Time frame inquiry

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Wed, 27 May 2015 17:34 UTC

From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 13:33:33 -0400
To: ianaplan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] Time frame inquiry

The plan calls for two expectations to be met as part of the transition.  Those expectations are the following:

   o  The protocol parameters registries are in the public domain.  It
      is the preference of the IETF community that all relevant parties
      acknowledge that fact as part of the transition.

   o  It is possible in the future that the operation of the protocol
      parameters registries may be transitioned from ICANN to subsequent
      operator(s).  It is the preference of the IETF community that, as
      part of the NTIA transition, ICANN acknowledge that it will carry
      out the obligations established under C.7.3 and I.61 of the
      current IANA functions contract between ICANN and the NTIA
      [NTIA-Contract] to achieve a smooth transition to subsequent
      operator(s), should the need arise.  Furthermore, in the event of
      a transition it is the expectation of the IETF community that
      ICANN, the IETF, and subsequent operator(s) will work together to
      minimize disruption in the use the protocol parameters registries
      or other resources currently located at iana.org.

The intent is to add language to the SLA to fulfill both of these expectations.

The IETF is ready to sign the updated SLA now, but we have been told that ICANN cannot do so until they get explicit permission as part of implementing the transition.  So, from our side, the answer to the question from the ICG leadership is "zero".

However, we also do not believe that we have accomplished a transition until that updated SLA is signed.  We have no way to know when ICANN will get the needed permission.  So, from that perspective, the answer to the question from the ICG leadership is "we do not know".

Russ