Re: [Ianaplan] Taking a step toward the IANA Transition

Jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com> Fri, 09 January 2015 15:33 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 16:33:36 +0100
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>, "ianaplan@ietf.org" <ianaplan@ietf.org>
From: Jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Cc: gene@iuwg.net, "iucg@ietf.org" <iucg@ietf.org>, iab <iab@iab.org>, iesg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] Taking a step toward the IANA Transition

At 15:00 09/01/2015, Eliot Lear wrote:
>The IESG has taken its decision, and the document stands approved.  It
>will be published as an RFC.

Thank you, for all your clarifications.

1) The report of Jari was confusing.

>  fully understand that the sentence "When ready, they will submit
> > the final proposal to the NTIA. The NTIA must then consider and
> > approve the proposal", being co-signed by the IETF Chair, is of a
> > purely political nature and cannot have anything to do with any
> > technical norm concerning my and people's personal Catenet properties.
>
>If you are referring to the blog, of course it is not normative to our
>processes, but informative to the community.

2) Absolutely.
This was the missing information which motivated my initial appeal.
This is now formally clarified.
Everyone is now able to best decide for themselves and for their users.

>herefore, there was a global IETF.
> >
> http://www.ietf.org/blog/2015/01/taking-a-step-towards-iana-transition/ changed
> > that: you have now formally published that it forked to a USIETF.
>
>I don't know who the USIETF is, but this organization is known as the IETF.

3) Loud and clear:
     - you do not know (yet) who is USIETF-leader (Jari or Lawrence?)
     - you confirm that this organization is currently known as the IETF.

     Simpler to call it USIETF as there is AmerICANN allready.
     Situation seems to be under regular/legal US control.

> > One of the IETF core values was to responsibly decide on an
> > "omnistakeholder" rough consensus basis. If the NTIA is now to first
> > approve its propositions, why not China, Russia, Germany, UK, France,
> > etc.? And/or Google, Apple, Xerox, NSA, etc.?
>
>It was the NTIA who sought information through ICANN.  If China or
>anyone else cares to ask us a question, we can determine how best to
>answer them just as we did in this case.

Still confusing:
- NTIA informed ICANN they could transfer some CLASS "IN" oversight.
- ICANN overdid it, hearing "IANA" instead.
- an USIETF RFC frees ICANN from its accountability to IAB/IETF.

IESG/IAB/ISOC and NTIA plain language confirmation advisable.
No problem. This will be the purpose of my appeal. Alles klar.

The user community can now constructively build a stable IETF/ICANN
accountability framework in this clarified context.
Thank you for that.
Best.

jfc