Re: [Ianaplan] CWG draft and its impact on the IETF

John Curran <jcurran@istaff.org> Tue, 12 May 2015 14:08 UTC

From: John Curran <jcurran@istaff.org>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 16:07:43 +0200
To: Roger Jørgensen <rogerj@gmail.com>
Cc: "ianaplan@ietf.org" <ianaplan@ietf.org>, Bernard Aboba <bernard.aboba@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] CWG draft and its impact on the IETF

On May 12, 2015, at 1:38 PM, Roger Jørgensen <rogerj@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see PTI as a pointless idea, what I see as a pointless idea is
> to have it
> as a subsidiary of ICANN. If we're going to go down that road, why not go all
> the way and make it a separate entity that stands on it's own - ICANN's
> role would be to fund it for now. At some later stage other could fund it.
>
> ...  on the other hand, done right it would separate the different roles ICANN
> have in this world, make it clearer that IANA is just a function that ICANN
> host. However, there are other and better ways to do that to.

Indeed - the more obvious approach would have been to move "the structure representing
the DNS community" external to ICANN (and then have that contract with ICANN for IANA
naming services), but as noted by Milton, such an approach quickly raises concerns about
risk of capture and stability of the resulting entities.

It should be noted that there is likely some benefit received from Post-Transition-IANA (PTI)
approach, in that it helps clarify roles and processes which are presently commingled in manner
which interferes with assessment of accountability to the names community.  It also provides
some benefit with respect to the identification of IANA costs.

The present challenge with PTI is that its mission, governance model, and legal structure
are all still to be determined[1][2][3], and as such, it is unclear if one can responsibly contract
with it for the delivery of IANA services.  Even though existing IANA staff and knowledge would
transfer to the PTI and presumably function as it does today, the new entity will have its own
governing Board (which could simply be an ICANN-designated or could be some other form
with various community representation involved) and mission, and either of these could have
impact on the delivery of IANA services.  For example, PTI’s governing Board could establish
mechanisms that go beyond IANA policy implementation but appear otherwise reasonable
(e.g. collection of suggestions for IANA policy improvement or quality assessment of new
IANA policy as received); without knowing the governance structure or mission, it is not at
all apparent how we'd all collectively keep PTI focusing “on course” as the IANA operator
under such circumstances, aside from the obviously destabilizing option of terminating the
relation and contracting with another party for IANA operations.

In addition, PTI has a funding dependency on ICANN and a likely dependency on the use
of other ICANN cost centers for fulfillment of its mission.  This doesn’t create any risk if PTI
is effectively governed by ICANN, but could prove ‘interesting’ if PTI has independent
governance structure and undertakes a direction and/or decisions which ICANN does not
support.  If ICANN has an obligation to fulfill certain the contractual responsibilities for IANA
services, then it is unlikely to that any misalignment would result in PTI’s inability to deliver
on those duties, but it is less clear if that’s the case should the performance obligations be
held only by PTI.

The IETF should consider all of the above, and the circumstances of its relationship with
ICANN via the existing MOU, and determine what is the best manner to serve the protocol
parameter community.  It might also be helpful to provide guidance on some of the open
aspects of PTI, in order to shape it in a direction which best meets the community’s needs.

May you live in interesting times...
/John

[1] FAQ on External Legal Counsel Memorandum Proposed Post-Transition Structure - https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/legal-counsel-memo-post-transition-structure-faq-08may15-en.pdf <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/legal-counsel-memo-post-transition-structure-faq-08may15-en.pdf>
[2]  "Summary of Legal Structure”, Sidley Austin LLP (CWG external counsel), 3 May 2015 - http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/cwg-stewardship/2015-May/003062.html <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/cwg-stewardship/2015-May/003062.html>
[3] "PTI: Board Duties and Subsidiary Costs”, Sidley Austin LLP (CWG external counsel), 28 April 2015 - http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/cwg-stewardship/attachments/20150505/8f61bbdd/PTI-0001.PDF <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/cwg-stewardship/attachments/20150505/8f61bbdd/PTI-0001.PDF>

Disclaimer: my views alone.