[Ianaplan] Where this WG fits Re: control and negotiation (was Re: draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-02 working group last call)

"Leslie Daigle (TCE)" <ldaigle@thinkingcat.com> Wed, 05 November 2014 20:43 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 15:43:30 -0500
From: "Leslie Daigle (TCE)" <ldaigle@thinkingcat.com>
To: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>
Cc: ianaplan@ietf.org
Subject: [Ianaplan] Where this WG fits Re: control and negotiation (was Re: draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-02 working group last call)

Miles,

The IAOC needs to know what the IETF wants in order to build the
administrative structures to provide it.  In other contexts, the IAOC
has been pretty tightly circumscribed to not "invent" things for the IETF.

In that light, I believe the purpose of this working group is to develop
consensus around the needs of the community to support the IETF's work
and protocols, going forward.     As a developer (of standards, or
software using standards), or deployer of networks, or other
producer/consumer of technical protocol parameters, what are the
requirements of the system post-NTIA transition?

That may not be protocol engineering, but it is a fairly technical task.
  It is not defining the form of the final implementation to meet those
requirements (lawyering, contracting, etc).   As a technical task, I
believe it is possible for a working group format to achieve the outcome.

To your specific points:
 > a. this working group has to overtly address issues, and recruit
 > experience, that are not normally within IETF WG purview, or,

Per the above, I don't believe that is necessary.  Notably, in this
group's charter:

[From http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/ianaplan/charter/ ]
"Fully documenting the interaction between the IETF and the operator
of IETF protocol parameters registries may require detailed terms of
agreements or other details of procedures that are normally delegated
to and handled by the IAB or IAOC."

 > b. we need to have some OTHER, clearly defined, open, consensus process
 > for addressing this set of issues; that includes strong representation
 > from those with governance, regulatory, legal, and contractual matters
 > in the Internet context (starting with the IAB, IAOC, IETF trust, and
ISOC)

That question is outside the scope of this WG.  If you feel it is
necessary, I would suggest that you could take it up (in person, or
remotely) at the Admin Plenary at IETF91, next week.

Leslie.