Re: [Ianaplan] it's more than that

Milton L Mueller <mueller@syr.edu> Mon, 04 May 2015 16:06 UTC

From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@syr.edu>
To: 'John Curran' <jcurran@arin.net>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 16:05:52 +0000
x-originating-ip: [128.230.182.126]
Cc: "'ianaplan@ietf.org'" <ianaplan@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] it's more than that

Here’s a response to John Curran, John Sweeting and Andrew Sullivan all in one:

First, Andrew, “the problem” referenced in my message was ICANN legal’s reported reaction to the CRISP proposal, and that is evident from even the part that you quoted. I was not talking about IETF-IANA. Whether the IETF is having the same kind of “problem” as the RIRs or not is still unclear – but there is no doubt what “the problem” is.

John Curran’s post, happily, makes it clear that the ARIN board recognized “the problem” and addressed it more or less directly. Thus, I am not sure why John Sweeting finds it necessary to deny that the concerns it articulates represent the prevailing view in the numbers community. I wasn’t aware of the ARIN board action when I wrote my blog post and that is the only reason it wasn’t mentioned. But this oversight is no big deal because the ARIN statement essentially affirms its recognition of the problems that were already outlined in Woodcock’s presentation (and Woodcock is on the board of ARIN), namely a call for transparency and the necessity of the principle of a termination right. But I will be happy to further publicize the ARIN board statement if you think that accomplishes anything.

--MM