Re: [Ianaplan] What are the RIRs doing?

Milton L Mueller <mueller@syr.edu> Mon, 08 September 2014 19:19 UTC

From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@syr.edu>
To: "ianaplan@ietf.org" <ianaplan@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 19:19:26 +0000
x-originating-ip: [128.230.182.82]
Cc: "NCSG-DISCUSS@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU" <NCSG-DISCUSS@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] What are the RIRs doing?

If you are convening an open process, you don't start it out with the "house proposal," in which a bunch of guys have decided behind the scenes what they want the outcome to be, and make it the reference point for all future discussion.

Let's say the ICG in its RFP had provided a "draft proposal" telling the three operational communities what it thinks would be good for them to propose. You would have no problem with that?

Or suppose the GNSO, in chartering its Cross-Community Working Group for the IANA transition, had appended a "draft proposal" which it wanted to use as the starting point for discussion. Wouldn't that take 90% of the initiative away from the relevant community and put it in the hands of the small group drafting the charter? Wouldn't it completely defeat the purpose of the

That seems to be exactly what is happening here. I see no preparation for real deliberations, no development of an opportunity for people to prepare and discuss alternatives. Instead, I see the "leaders" i.e., managers and owners of the existing RIRs, deciding in advance that they think is best, and using their control of the process to ensure that their preferences will prevail.

ICANN tried that at first with the preparations for the ICG, proposing a skewed process and a prejudiced scoping document. It was laughed out of town, and quickly corrected itself. Let's hope the RIRs and IETF have the same good sense.

Milton L Mueller
Laura J and L. Douglas Meredith Professor
http://faculty.ischool.syr.edu/mueller/