Re: [Iasa20] draft-ietf-iasa2-consolidated-upd-06

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Fri, 08 March 2019 17:18 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 12:18:21 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
cc: Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, IASA 2 WG <iasa20@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Iasa20] draft-ietf-iasa2-consolidated-upd-06

Ted,

(top post)

Thanks.

This seems entirely reasonable to me and, unless Jason or Jon
direct otherwise, I will modify the document accordingly.  In
the event that it was not clear, what I've been objecting to was
a late command directive after the WG appeared to have made up
its mind.

It is a separate issue and clearly not within this WG's scope,
but experiments that run for 18 years (and counting) are unusual
in the IETF (and most other engineering work) and, IIR, the IESG
has argued against them several times.  If you believe it is
still live, I think it would be extremely desirable for you to
generate an update that discusses what has helped and why (or
if) the methods should be tested.  Ideally, such an update would
also bring it into line with current norms about experiments
that actually produce conclusions and end.

best,
   john

--On Friday, March 8, 2019 08:40 -0800 Ted Hardie