Re: [Iasa20] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc7776bis-02: (with DISCUSS)

"Pete Resnick" <resnick@episteme.net> Wed, 04 September 2019 17:50 UTC

From: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Cc: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, IASA 2 WG <iasa20@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc7776bis@ietf.org, iasa2-chairs@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, Jon Peterson <jon.peterson@team.neustar>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2019 12:50:23 -0500
Subject: Re: [Iasa20] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc7776bis-02: (with DISCUSS)

On 4 Sep 2019, at 12:38, Barry Leiba wrote:

> Pete, I have no issue with your conclusion, and I don't think we
> should block this document... but there's one thing you say:
>
>> your comment is a strictly on
>> the editorial choice and readability of the document, which is quite
>> explicitly a non-criteria for a DISCUSS.
>
> Where in the DISCUSS non-criteria
> <https://www.ietf.org/blog/discuss-criteria-iesg-review/> does it say
> that *readability* of the document is out of bounds? I certainly hope
> that's not true.

• Stylistic issues of any kind. The IESG are welcome to copy-edit as
a non-blocking comment, but this should not obstruct document
processing.

Now, if Magnus really means that the document is literally unreadable,
that a reader truly couldn't figure out what was meant, I absolutely
agree that would be DISCUSSable. But I took him as being a little more
metaphorical by saying, "soup that is not readable".

> On the other hand, the first DISCUSS criterion
> refers to "clarity issues"

Clarity issues which make it "impossible to implement", not just any
clarity issues. "Impossible" seems a pretty strong word.

> and the second that "the description is
> unclear in such a way that the reader cannot understand it without
> ambiguity."

Again, this comes down to "cannot understand". If that's really what
Magnus means, then DISCUSS away.

(I will note that another non-criteria is:

• Reiteration of the issues that have been raised and discussed as
part of WG or IETF Last Call, unless the AD believes they have not been
properly addressed.

Again, the caveat at the end might be reasonable, but Magnus didn't make
that clear.)

> As I noted in my (non-DISCUSS) ballot, I think the attempt to change
> the metadata in this way is hard to follow, and is therefore a poor
> choice, and I suspect that's where Magnus is as well.

I don't disagree with you or he on the point. I had the XML for 7776
dusted off and ready to go when we were told to go in this other
direction. As Adrian said, we are willing to take a change in direction
if that is the IESG decision.

> I don't care about this further for this document, as I hope Magnus
> will clear his DISCUSS after this discussion and we'll go forward.
> But I would hate to leave us with the idea that we can't DISCUSS a
> document because of serious readability issues.

For large values of "serious", no doubt. I take that to mean, "anything
that cannot be safely fixed by the RFC Editor and leaves the document
non-understandable".

pr

--
Pete Resnick http://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best