RE: [Icar] icar futures?

"Robert Snively" <rsnively@Brocade.COM> Thu, 14 October 2004 15:21 UTC

Subject: RE: [Icar] icar futures?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:06:09 -0700
From: Robert Snively <rsnively@Brocade.COM>
To: mallman@icir.org, Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc: Scott W Brim <swb@employees.org>, icar@ietf.org
Sender: icar-bounces@ietf.org

My previously stated and present view is that reviews are only
meaningful
when performed by deeply interested and involved parties.  That
commitment
is in most respects more important than the actual knowledge base
of overall IETF activities held by a reviewer.  The IETF viewpoints
may be impressed upon the review process during the comment
resolution process as necessary.

The way to get meaningful reviews is to find those people who are truly
interested and motivated.  This often (but not always) means they must
have
a commercial interest in the result.  Those people may or may not have
been
active in IETF in the past, so IETF is going to have to do
outreach to the obvious candidate organizations that have shown
an interest in the area being reviewed.  That outreach must be
both across the IETF membership and outside to other related
standards organizations and industry organizations.
Thus my continuing wish for active external liaison activities
and broadly targeted solicitation of reviews.

Making a call for "reviewers" in general will usually have the
results you have seen here.  Until you have a particular document
that is important to a person, that person will simply not volunteer
to review it.  IESG actions and arm-twisting activities will not change
that
meaningfully.

Bob